VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reviewing The C-File

Rate this question

4MR05C

Question

Anyone know how long the VA has to achedule an appointment for you to review your c-file?

It's been well over 90 days since I went to the VARO and asked to do so and still nothing from them.

Meanwhile, they made a decision (which I will be appealing), does this mean I have to go back and ask to review the c-file again?

So confusing...

Thanks for any help! :smile:

ask them to copy it and mail it to you. by delivery conf mail. Tell them you want it in its entirety, including doctors notes, electronic files, ect. They dont like it when you ask for the c-file, or to see it. They dont want you to have proof of what they had, when they made the descision. I tends to come back and bite them in the arse. be persistant.

How often can you request a copy, or is there a limit!!

I would suggest that you request a copy of your C/P exams and your medical records used in the determination of your claim. Once you receive these, pay particular attention to the C/P exam results. This is the info that you will need to be contesting for a notice of disagreement.

The VA will provide one full copy of each item you request. Any subsequent copies you will have to pay for.

Thank you for the additional info... I do appreciate the feedback.... is anyone able to answer my question?

Namely, is there a TIME LIMIT by which the law requires them to provide me with either a copy of the c-file or allow me to review it?

As for asking them for it multiple times, and "they don't like to give it to you"..... I don't give a good g*d damn if they like it or not! THE LAW requires them to provide me with one copy and I WILL have that copy!

• HadIt.com Elder

Put your request in writing! I don't believe there is any hard and fast law that requires the VA to provide you with a copy or the chance to view your file within a certain time. I think there is a common sense time frame, especially if your lawyer asks for a copy. The VA stonewalled my lawyer when he asked for a copy of my file. I provided him my copy. He did get a copy of his own when he saw the full copy the BVA judge had compared to my incomplete copy. I can say that if you have a claim for major retro the VA will go over your claim with a fine tooth comb looking for anything to take you down.

John

John.... I DID put it in writing!

I don't think there is "no time frame"... I think its 90 days, but I was looking for some one who might actually know.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by 4MR05C