Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time For A New Vso?

Rate this question

NavyWife

Question

Even though I am doing all the legwork and filing my husband's claim myself, I still would like to have a VSO because they have direct access to VBMS through SEP (Stakeholder Enterprise Portal). They have a higher level of access then the vets do through a Ebenefits and can retrieve more information.

Since December I called three weeks in a row and no one would ever answer the VSO phone. Finally a few days ago a secretary started answering the phone. Unfortunately the answer to most of my questions is "I don't know, I will have to check with the VSO.

I think it may be time to switch VSO's. I currently have VFW out of Oakland.

Anyone have any recommendations for a competent VSO that actually answers the phone or responds to emails?

I would prefer to have one that works out of the Oakland VARO, Or at a minimum has some contacts there.

I have heard good things about Purple Heart. Can anyone join them or is it only for vets in receipt of a Purple Heart?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Trust your gut instincts. It took me until I was abt 42 yrs old, before I started relying on them and ive been spot on since I have. Also I usually sleep on important descisions, Heres why, when you go to sleep the more intelligent logical, not emotional part of your brain is still working on a solution. Sleep gives your brain time to kind of let the wheels stop spinning. When they do, the problem can be addressed without self manifested distractions. Thing will be quite clear when you wake up the next morning most time. Picture a large wheel spinning as your going to sleep, the big wheel at wheel of fortune is good, or the price is right. Picture a BMF spinning the wheel, and its spinning really fast, you hear it whirring as ita spinning, the numbers spinning so fast you cant tell what they are, then they slowly start to slow down, slower and slower and slower, and slower, then it finally stops. One the wheel stops, recall the problem your dealing with, but dont think abt it too much, just bring it to your mind, then try to rest and sleep. When u wake, things will be really clear.

Really...?...REALLY???... Gonna try this tonight to see if it cures my PTSD. Thanks for your "spot on" commentary.

LC

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html

now I have a self proclaimed psychiatrist (63sierria) telling me on how to run my office. each and every comment he provided, he just validated (which he does quite frequently) his lack of intellectual concept on what vso's do. I would encourage him to walk a week in my shoes, just for learning purposes only, but I'm afraid he would only make an hour.... It is what it is... Think I'll hang a sign on my door, 3 veterans a day only, complex claims only on Tuesdays, no one on Wednesdays, (I need to talk on the phone). Are you really kidding me? Like I said before, you don't have a clue. I'm not sure what your spot on about, but it can't be anything to due with claims. How long has your been in the system? I rest my case....

LC, you (and everyone else) are entitled to your own opinions and I respect that. I'm not sure what you disagreed with because that is what I do and have been doing for 8 years. By working the way I have been, I know for a fact that I've been more successful than other vso's in this area with claims. At least that's what I'm told. I don't pay attention to that as my attention is directly focused on each and every veteran and widow/widower that comes into my office. There was nothing speculative in that note and there was nothing in there mentioning the DAV.

There are vets that think they own the vso. It's a low % but it's a fact. I work with them veterans just like I do with everybody. I learned a long time ago, when dealing with people you have to be consistent in your actions. If your going to do a favor for somebody, you better be prepared to do the same for every veteran. There is no veteran that is better than the next, unless you show me orders for the Medal of Honor.

VSO's are a dime a dozen, I've heard that time and time again. You have your good ones and you have the bad ones. The bad vso's are only there for self recognition. They stand there, swell their chest and say this is who I am. We have a couple in this area. They do not miss a photo opportunity with the paper or any other event with a camera present. More importantly, they don't have any track record at all with claims. They make me sick!

I just hope that out of the 915 veterans that I seen last year and the 575 claims that I have submitted on behalf of those veterans, one, just one was satisfied.....

Each veteran is different, each veteran's claim is different, even if they deal with the same disabilities. You deal with different symptomology's and that's a big part of the claim, besides the diagnosis.

Really...?...REALLY???... Gonna try this tonight to see if it cures my PTSD. Thanks for your "spot on" commentary.
LC

Doc 63 is in the house!!

Sounds good to me. No harm, no foul taken or meant to/from anyone. Hope you all feel the same.

This topic always seems to strike a nerve with everyone for various reasons, all make perfect sense. (well...almost all, ha-ha!) Everyone's experience is just a bit different than the next so it shouldn't be a surprise. Personally, I think I'm gonna refrain from making many comments in the future about the whole "VSO thing" because it is such an emotional issue. I try my best not to write hurtful things as I know most everyone else does as well. But your opinions (everyone's) mean the world to me and I never want to do or say anything to jeopardize that.

Hope you can understand.

Thanks,

LC

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html

• HadIt.com Elder

Loose Cannon

What you said about our legal system is exactly true. Rich people accused of crimes get the best lawyer money can buy. Our legal system rolls on money and that is about all lawyers think about most of the time. Judges are ex-lawyers even administrative judges. If you try and "go cheap" when you are in legal struggle you will regret it. With the VA the VA has unlimited financial resources. All you have is the best POA you can afford. Your best advocate starts with yourself. You need to know that a person who represents themselves has a fool for a client, except if you are Berta.

john

Megp just so you dont think im being biased, I had Texas veterans commish, and American Legion AS poa s thru the years,m and they didnt do anything worth a darn for me either. everything ive got so far has been of my own doing. My claims are still going on, 13 as we speak, yes 13 ACTIVE legitimate claims. If I win, and feel the DAV helped me, I will be the FIRST to get on here, and give them thier credit. If I lose, The dav will be revoked and I will continue to fight with my own knowledge, or until I feel an attorney is needed. DONT get upset with us when we are telling the truth, abt an organization that you are a part of. Its not fair to US. We have the right, and DUTY to inform other vets of our experiences. Good bad or ugly. If it helps them but offends you, im sorry, but brother, the truth will be told. I have no other agenda on here but to learn, share, help and encourage and win my claims.