Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time For A New Vso?

Rate this question

NavyWife

Question

Even though I am doing all the legwork and filing my husband's claim myself, I still would like to have a VSO because they have direct access to VBMS through SEP (Stakeholder Enterprise Portal). They have a higher level of access then the vets do through a Ebenefits and can retrieve more information.

Since December I called three weeks in a row and no one would ever answer the VSO phone. Finally a few days ago a secretary started answering the phone. Unfortunately the answer to most of my questions is "I don't know, I will have to check with the VSO.

I think it may be time to switch VSO's. I currently have VFW out of Oakland.

Anyone have any recommendations for a competent VSO that actually answers the phone or responds to emails?

I would prefer to have one that works out of the Oakland VARO, Or at a minimum has some contacts there.

I have heard good things about Purple Heart. Can anyone join them or is it only for vets in receipt of a Purple Heart?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

when a veteran uses a VSO and submits his/her claim and that claim comes back approved, that vso is dynamite!!

when a veteran uses a vso and submits his/her claim and that claim comes back denied, that vso didn't know what he was doing, he was worthless, he was this and that. However, when you were talking to him, he seemed ok then.

we can not refuse to submit a claim if a veteran wants to submit one. many (still today) want to submit a claim with no medical documentation. Some will use the mentality that "my buddy is getting 20% and I'm only getting 10% for the same disability, I want my other 10% and I want back pay.

I along with other vso's (I suppose) could write a book on the rationale that veterans will utilize. As a volunteer, I have the luxury (if you will) of telling the veteran no. But when doing so, I will explain the whole situation for him and what would best be used or recommended in his/her situation. I've been lucky on this as most veteran will take my advice and compile that medical documentation before submitting a claim. Again, many older veterans are still hung up on sending the va notification that they are going to open a claim for xxx just to secure an earlier effective date. Today, that is the worst way any veteran can submit a claim!

As for the telephone calls, many times, I can not call the veteran back because I've been with other veterans. They fail to realize that there are other vets that need assistance beside them. They don't want to hear it nor do they care, they just want to be placed in front of the list and just stay there like that vso is their personal bitch.

I used to stay in the office after assisting the last veteran just to call vets back. I actually got tired of staying in the office until 6:30PM, but they don't want to hear it, they just want that personal secretary when they need him/her. So I started allocating 2 hours on a Saturday to call veterans back. Most were appreciative, there were some that told me "what are you calling me on a Saturday for, you need to call me back Monday morning when I have time". I've heard it and I've heard it all.

My practice now is that I will stay in the office for one hour after the last veteran has been seen to return calls. If I complete the list great, if not, I'll get it tomorrow. Having a VSO going a week without returning a call is unacceptable and yes, if you go that long, it's time for a new VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

If VSO is a volunteer you get what you pay for IMO. If the VSO is getting paid they owe the vet a call back and a complete effort. The service I have gotten from VSO's compared to my lawyer is a joke. My lawyer wrote a 40 page brief for my DRO Hearing. For the BVA it was even better. I have a claim that involves thorny issues and lots of retro. I would not trust any VSO with my claim. I say again "You get what you pay for".

John

Trust your gut instincts. It took me until I was abt 42 yrs old, before I started relying on them and ive been spot on since I have. Also I usually sleep on important descisions, Heres why, when you go to sleep the more intelligent logical, not emotional part of your brain is still working on a solution. Sleep gives your brain time to kind of let the wheels stop spinning. When they do, the problem can be addressed without self manifested distractions. Thing will be quite clear when you wake up the next morning most time. Picture a large wheel spinning as your going to sleep, the big wheel at wheel of fortune is good, or the price is right. Picture a BMF spinning the wheel, and its spinning really fast, you hear it whirring as ita spinning, the numbers spinning so fast you cant tell what they are, then they slowly start to slow down, slower and slower and slower, and slower, then it finally stops. One the wheel stops, recall the problem your dealing with, but dont think abt it too much, just bring it to your mind, then try to rest and sleep. When u wake, things will be really clear.

Edited by 63SIERRA

?As for the telephone calls, many times, I can not call the veteran back because I've been with other veterans. They fail to realize that there are other vets that need assistance beside them. They don't want to hear it nor do they care, they just want to be placed in front of the list and just stay there like that vso is their personal bitch.

I used to stay in the office after assisting the last veteran just to call vets back. I actually got tired of staying in the office until 6:30PM, but they don't want to hear it, they just want that personal secretary when they need him/her. So I started allocating 2 hours on a Saturday to call veterans back. Most were appreciative, there were some that told me "what are you calling me on a Saturday for, you need to call me back Monday morning when I have time". I've heard it and I've heard it all."

you need to either lighten your workload or find a more effiecient way to handle your "clients". Why not set up a day or 2 during the week where the first half of the day is phone confrenceing, When a vet calls, in schedule them a 30 minute time frame, that you can speak with them on a specific day. Like maybe Teusdays, thrusdays and fridays, 9 to 12 is phone confrences. Theres no excuse for not calling a vet back, and at least sheduling a time to talk to them so they have your full undivided attention. If i called on a monday, and you were busy, but said look, I take calls tuesday, wednesday and friday. 8 to 12. I can call you back at such and such time, I will allocate 30 minutes , would you like to lock in a time. Give me a good number, just one, that you can be reached at. I will call you at 9.00 am on tuesday am., I will make one attempt. if you dont answer, im on to the next vet. Put a sign on your office door, NO walk ins ON TUES,WED OR THURS, 9 TO 12.

If they dont answer phone calls when you call them that will give you time to do paperwork, or whatever else you need to do to help catch up.

Meghp - I have the utmost respect for you because of the advice you continually provide on this site, however I respectfully disagree with much of what you posted above. I think you have a conflict of interest going on since you are a DAV VSO and it's only natural for you to defend them. Please don't take my comments personally as I am not attacking you. You are way too valuable to us here!!

john999 - I love you to death brother but unless the "free service" vet organizations hang a sign over their door that says "Free advice provided at all times / Good advice provided sometimes" I don't see that it makes a rat's bit of a difference.

If we apply your theory to our legal system, we are saying that anyone accused of a crime who uses a public defender should not be surprised when they are found guilty...That they should have known better and hired an attorney? I respect your opinion but as with Megph, I respectfully disagree.

LC

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html