Benefits Claim Finally Approved!

Rate this topic

Motherof3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean DEA CHapter 35 college benefits this might help:

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25/~/who%E2%80%99s-eligible-for-dependents%E2%80%99-educational-assistance-%28chapter-35%29-benefits-and

There is a lot here if you do a hadit search too under DEA or Chapter 35.

I am a Chapter 35er. VA sent both me and my daughter the DEA formal application form along with the 100% P & T award letter.

They usually enclose a DEA pamphlet too.

There are some restrictions on age of the dependent child, 26 years old I recall, but they also will add the same amount of years they spent in the Mil if they too are a veteran.

I gave an estimate on the DEA form as to how much my college would cost ...they asked....

And also they need to know what college is being attended or will be attended (most all colleges are VA approved.)

I had half a degree already and so I multiplied my schools tuition rate by the months I would need for the next 30 credits and it came out to around 14 thousand....

VA paid about 8 thousand and then my eligibility time ran out so I was successful in another type of claim and they extended my time and also sent me 6 thousand more...the amount I had paid myself when the initial eligibility time period ran out, when they got my new award letter.

I still have some DEA time left.

Hope I didnt confuse anyone.

DEA was initially granted when I won an accrued claim of 100% P & T PTSD for my deceased husband.

Then when I won direct SC death under both DMII as well as another claim under AO,they had to revise my DEA eligibility dates.

My daughter joined the Air Force and left for BT a few days after the DEA award came.

She got many college credits for her degree from the USAF , has a BS now, and has not used her DEA at all.

I went to school under survivors DEA but once the paperwork is complete it usually works the same way., for all Chap 35ers.

berta, since i don't have children, can anyone else use my chapter 35 benefits? i have 3 young great nephews. that why i am asking. btw, off subject, your diverse interest in music is wonderful. props to you! :-)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use