VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Former Va Employee Sentenced Tampa

Berta

"Former VA Employee Sentenced To Prison For Theft Of Veterans’ Personal Information

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE"

In part:

"Tampa, Florida – U.S. District Judge Virginia M. Hernandez-Covington today sentenced David F. Lewis to 6 years in federal prison for access device fraud and aggravated identity theft. As part of his sentence, the court also entered a money judgment in the amount of $105,271.00, the proceeds of the charged criminal conduct. Lewis pleaded guilty on December 10, 2013.

According to court documents and testimony presented in court, Lewis was an employee at the Tampa VA Medical Center. On at least five different dates in 2012, Lewis accessed and printed the personal information, including names, social security numbers, and medical information, of over 100 veterans who were in-patients at the Tampa VA Medical Center. Lewis then gave these documents to someone else in exchange for crack cocaine, knowing that the veterans’ information would be used by others to file fraudulent tax returns in order to fraudulently obtain tax refunds, and in at least one instance, to apply for lines of credit in the veteran’s name. The Department of Veterans Affairs is paying for credit monitoring for those victims known to be affected by Lewis’ theft."

http://www.justice.gov/usao/flm/press/2014/Mar/20140306_Lewis.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my Identity stolen 4 times and I am only 31, then recently my Info was leaked when Ebennies was hacked. I am so tired of people taken advantage of us. Berta, thanks for the great info.

yes they need to make it a state jail felony, from the state it occured. let them do 10 years in a texas prison and see how they like it. Fedaral prison is usually a vacation,.

• 3 months later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

You would think the VA would have caught this guy. A crack addict working for VA with access to patient records?

I'm sure he will appeal..........hope it has to go thru the St Pete RO.........!!!!!!!!

slow,

If the appeal went thru St Pete VARO -

the guy could be out running the streets as a free citizen for 6 or 7 years

before another denial was rendered and even more years, before St Pete could get

a sentencing date scheduled - lol, but true !

Berta - thanks for the post and link : - )