Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hydrocodone

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Have been on night time oxygen for some months now but guess I am not bad enough for the cpac..

Usually, with Sleep disorders, a CPAP or BPAP is prescribed before oxygen is needed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, with Sleep disorders, a CPAP or BPAP is prescribed before oxygen is needed.

COPD is not a sleep disorder.

I'd recommend the OP follow his physician's advice and NOT some of the cowboys here practicing medicine.

I think some of us 'cowboys' here should become doctors at the VA.

However , and I know your comment was made in the best interests of everyone here Amicus,

it can be serious business to withdraw from most meds unless it is supervised by a physician.

Addiction to prescribed meds is a very serious problem in America.

I have noticed here that many docs seem to be trying to cut down on all sorts of prescribed pain meds.

There is plenty on the web and on TV about severe addiction to prescribed meds.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertpearl/2014/02/27/prescription-addiction-what-can-be-done-about-rising-rx-overdoses/

Many here know their disabilities in and out ,medically, and understand their med recs.

I myself had to study medicine to prove my FTCA case.

In some cases our lay medical knowledge and experiences is a big part of the ability here, for us, to advise vets on their claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA also hates drugs of the Valium family. I think they are called Benzos for short. If you suddenly stop taking Clonazepam or Valium or Xanax you will have a very dangerous withdrawal. I did it before out of ignorance and I was jumping out of my skin. The VA does hold it against you if you take any of the Benzos. When I went to the pulmonary clinic to try and get Provigil the fact I take Clonazepam for SC anxiety and Percocet for SC pain put me on their sh*t list. Now everyone at the VA wants to blame the medications the VA prescribed me for years as being my big problem. I wonder if I can sue the VA for getting me addicted to all these drugs. Could I file a 1151 claim since my brain chemistry has been changed over the decades of use of the VA approved drugs?

John

I think some of us 'cowboys' here should become doctors at the VA.

However , and I know your comment was made in the best interests of everyone here Amicus,

it can be serious business to withdraw from most meds unless it is supervised by a physician.

Addiction to prescribed meds is a very serious problem in America.

I have noticed here that many docs seem to be trying to cut down on all sorts of prescribed pain meds.

There is plenty on the web and on TV about severe addiction to prescribed meds.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertpearl/2014/02/27/prescription-addiction-what-can-be-done-about-rising-rx-overdoses/

Many here know their disabilities in and out ,medically, and understand their med recs.

I myself had to study medicine to prove my FTCA case.

In some cases our lay medical knowledge and experiences is a big part of the ability here, for us, to advise vets on their claims.

My point is a simple one, even the worst physician will know more about an individual's case history than anyone else here. Making blanket statement in regards to a prescribed treatment regiment is both irresponsible and foolish. The responses here are a prime example that range from seeking CPAP to ceasing a prescribed medication. The best advice for the OP is to seek a second professional opinion in the event he/she feels uncomfortable with their treatment modality; following medical lay advice on an internet forum is the worst.

• HadIt.com Elder

Amicus

You are right. If a patient has a problem with a med they should take it up with their doctor. I was just pointing out some of the prejudices I have run into at the VA over the years. What I resent the hell out of is the VA blaming me for have drug dependence when they, and only they, prescribed these drugs for me for the last 7-8 years. My VA has a alternative pain program in-patient but you must already be clean of the addictive drugs they fed you for years.