Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exposure To Explosions

Rate this question

Jon1371

Question

Greetings all. I have been searching this site for the last couple of months, and just joined.

I was just told by the VA that I can't get screened for TBI because I wasn't in an explosion or in a vehicle hit by an explosion. I got out in 03 right after getting back from Iraq and back then there wasn't any talk of TBI. Heck, I didn't know what TBI was until last month to be honest. I keep getting asked if I was exposed and I always answer yes but nothing happens. After researching TBI I asked my Dr about it and she said I had to hit my head.

I was a 1371 Combat Engineer and helped EOD clear the airfield we took over. Lots of UXO including dud 500 # bombs.

Anyone else close to explosions but not injured(shrapnel) and get TBI?

Youve gotten some great advice from the other members here.

What is your goal with VA? Are you trying to get to 100%?

If you are already service-connected for PTSD that will make it challenging to also get service-connected for TBI. That is because many of the symptoms of the two are the same. A doctor will have to be able to separate the two and attribute the symptoms to either TBI or PTSD. I'm NOT saying at all that you cannot get SC for both --just letting you know something that VA will be looking at. Many TBIs actually cause PTSD.

I've done a ton of research on TBI myself because that's one thing my hubby is filing for.

What do you mean your migraines are actually seizures?

If you are comfortable listing what you're service-connected for already and at what percentage, We could help you better to craft a game plan.

Over the last 11 years I have been in and out of Mental health including the psych ward. I have had so many diagnosis and pills pushed on me I have lost count. The VA sure does love to give out pills and then see you six weeks later. I haven't been able to think about Iraq for the last 11 years without spinning out, but I am now because I need to know what's wrong with me and get some kind of closure. I am trying to prove that I am damaged, not disordered or have bad genes. I will be happy with 0% SC for TBI if that is what is wrong with me. That's why I asked if anyone has been injured by a blast but not hit with shrapnel. Every new doctor I have asks about TBI but stop after I tell them how many.

Look up migraines and seizures and you'll find that they're very similar especially in how they start with an aura, feeling poorly, but some seizures end with you feeling euphoric just like migraines. I think EEGs are the only way to tell them apart.

I am SC for PTSD, migraines, left shoulder, left hip, left knee, and my left testicle. Rated at 60%

Just got my records from one of the VA hospitals I used.

AXIS I: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with anxious and depressed mood
R/O Mood Disorder due to medical condition (Traumatic Brain
I n j u r y )
AXIS II: deferred
AXIS III: Traumatic Brain Injury?
AXIS IV: Sporadice employment, limited family support
AXIS V: GAF = 25

This was in my diagnosis for my hospitalization. I'm wondering why no one ever followed up. The question mark was there too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow, a GAF of 25 means they should not have let you out of the hospital. If your symptoms match up with the GAF you should have gotten 100%. They are not supposed to use the GAF anymore. However, to get a GAF that low you need to have psychotic symptoms according to the GAF scale. My father in-law had a TBI during WWII. That TBI affected him the rest of his life. He developed seizures and was totally insane for a while after the explosion according to family lore. He spent months in a military hospital. He did not have a scratch on him from the blast. Have you spoken to a private neurologist?

My GAF was up to 55 when I was released. That was back in 2008, so maybe the GAF was still being used then. I don't know. I've got the psychotic symptoms now. I have flashbacks of people and events I don't remember. If it wasn't for my flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all. I've found buddies on facebook and I have been talking with them and they've sent me pictures of events from my flashbacks. I have 30% for PTSD and after my hospitalization I went for an increase, but I was denied. Makes you wonder if they read any of the hospital paperwork. It's hard to have all this stuff going on and still fight the VA. I don't have money for a private doctor, I haven't worked in almost 2.5 years and I'm living off family generosity and my 60%. Thanks for your input john999, I really appreciate your help.