VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Annual Checkup

Rate this topic

Stretch and John999 thanks for the information and Berta I have been listening to some of the topics on the SVR Radio and Blog Talk that is really great! Eventually I may relocate to the Phillipines for a short time of about a year so that is why I was asking about being seen at the Manila VA clinic. Apparently they are not under the FMP program so I think that as long as you are a Vet living in the Philipines that you would be eligible to be seen by them (but only for service connected conditions). I have to do some more checking but I think that is right. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When I received my notice this year I cancelled my annual physical at the VA OPC. About three weeks later I received a phone call from a VA employee in Cincinnati, Ohio advising I would be removed from the VA healthcare system unless I had my annual physical at the VA OPC. I live in Georgia. I explained to the VA rep that I turned 65 since my last VA annual physical and I now had medicare along with my BCBS federal health insurance and I planned to use private health care providers for all my healthcare since I had 100% coverage. I also told her that I just had a complete physical exam at my private pcp in March and it didn't make sense to under go another one a month later. She told me if I use the VA for eyeglasses, hearing aids, prescriptions or dental; I would not be eligible to receive these services unless I had my annual physical and remained in the VA healthcare system. I have used the VA for eyeglasses, hearing aids and prescriptions so I agreed for her to schedule me for my annual physical exam with the VA OPC which I will have this coming Thursday. She did tell me I could bring copies of the lab test results from my private pcp with me to the VA exam and I would not have to repeat these.

Georgiapapa

When I received my notice this year I cancelled my annual physical at the VA OPC. About three weeks later I received a phone call from a VA employee in Cincinnati, Ohio advising I would be removed from the VA healthcare system unless I had my annual physical at the VA OPC. I live in Georgia. I explained to the VA rep that I turned 65 since my last VA annual physical and I now had medicare along with my BCBS federal health insurance and I planned to use private health care providers for all my healthcare since I had 100% coverage. I also told her that I just had a complete physical exam at my private pcp in March and it didn't make sense to under go another one a month later. She told me if I use the VA for eyeglasses, hearing aids, prescriptions or dental; I would not be eligible to receive these services unless I had my annual physical and remained in the VA healthcare system. I have used the VA for eyeglasses, hearing aids and prescriptions so I agreed for her to schedule me for my annual physical exam with the VA OPC which I will have this coming Thursday. She did tell me I could bring copies of the lab test results from my private pcp with me to the VA exam and I would not have to repeat these.

Georgiapapa

This is what I've been told as well. You've got to be seen once a year by the PCP to continue to receive speciality care services like eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc. As a result, I have an outside set of doctors that treat most of my conditions but use the VA PCP for one minor SC condition, medical report submission to keep my VA files up to date to prevent trouble with keeping SC, and access to what our insurance doesn't cover.

Like any medical system, the VA has good doctors and some who shouldn't see patients. It depends on who you have. Personally, if you have outside insurance, I'd use it to get to a good doctor of your choice. If I'd have listened to one VA PCP I had, I may be dead right now. Others have been spot on, and the GNPs have been better for me than the MDs. If you don't like your PCP for whatever reason, there is a process to change within the medical center or CBOC/OPC.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are rated 50% or more you can get your medications free. Also, if you want you get treatment free. They bill your insurance if you have it. I think using the VA to document your disabilities is a good reason to go to the VA. Using the VA helped me get two SMC's including housebound. Now I am not going to let the VA do brain surgery on me, but I suppose if I wanted to die on clean sheets I could always go there for free one day. A lot of terminal vets go there to die.

John

It is good to see the VA for any SC conditions. It is also good to see your PCP at the VA if you may have any AO exposure or Gulf War illness. Secondary conditions can be identified and the proof will be right in the VA's records. I did the AO Registry exam in 1999. The report said I had borderline DMII and some nerve problems. A few years later my borderline DMII became 10% DMII and I was also connected for PN. The AO Registry exam got my mind working. When I came up with a problem with calcification in arteries in my legs I knew this was most likely secondary to DMII. The VA doctor even made the connection for me. I know that a civilian doctor would not know that AO could cause such conditions. The VA PCP made the case for me.

In general, I feel VA care is poor at my VA hospital. However, the medical evidence they generate themselves is hard for them to refute. Now if I could just get my PCP or VA pulmonologist to say my OSA is secondary to DmII I would have them. It is these small victories against the Evil Empire that make it all worthwhile.

I have to agree. In order for you to be successful against the VA you have to keep them aware of things. All I warn though is make sure you cover your bases and watch your six. Not everyone there is a helpful and looking out for you as they seem.

• HadIt.com Elder

Many are scared to really risk anything for a vet. If you have long term relationship with a doctor at the VA they are more likely to help you. I had one doctor who really went to bat for me and helped me get SC for a couple of conditions. The others just won't do it. I have DMII and HBP. I asked my doctor is she could connect the HBP as secondary to the DMII. She hemmed and Hawed and would not make a definitive statement either way. I see she won't go out on a limb for me.

John