Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please Help My Vietnam Vet Husband

Rate this question

stanval

Question

Good day all. I am new at this. I thank God for you, your acknowledge, success and your not giving up. I desperately need some direction on how to help my husband’s claim. He served in Vietnam.

His appeal (PTSD) is located in the AMC in Washington, DC; he is represented there by VVA. I hate to say it but I know more information than the attorney. It was remanded in 2012. The AMC requested information from him at the end of Feb 2014, the info is already in his file. I still completed the form with the requested information and he now waits to hear a decision on his PTSD appeal claim.

The lawyer with the VVA explained to me that an appeal and new claims cannot/will not be looked at during the same time. Has this been your experience?

There was a claim for hypertension and sleep apnea, but somehow they were separated and not being addressed at this time. There was some sort of remand that I do not understand.

May 2013 his right kidney was removed he completed prostate radiation treatment in September 2013 and has many follow-up test including now looking at the liver and soon his heart (Nuclear test). He has not worked since April 2013. He has not had the Agent Orange exam. What are your thoughts on that? What do you recommend as next steps while we wait to hear from the appeal?

A claim was filed in March and May 2013 for the kidney and prostate cancer but when I called the 1000# they have no record of receiving it. Also the DAV is representing him on this claim. I am waiting to hear back from the rep. I have not received a development letter on the claims. My husband’s file is considered sensitive but no one knows why. PLEASE help!!! What should we do? What can we do

Good day all. I am new at this. I thank God for you, your acknowledge, success and your not giving up. I desperately need some direction on how to help my husband’s claim. He served in Vietnam.

His appeal (PTSD) is located in the AMC in Washington, DC; he is represented there by VVA. I hate to say it but I know more information than the attorney. It was remanded in 2012. The AMC requested information from him at the end of Feb 2014, the info is already in his file. I still completed the form with the requested information and he now waits to hear a decision on his PTSD appeal claim.

The lawyer with the VVA explained to me that an appeal and new claims cannot/will not be looked at during the same time. Has this been your experience?

There was a claim for hypertension and sleep apnea, but somehow they were separated and not being addressed at this time. There was some sort of remand that I do not understand.

May 2013 his right kidney was removed he completed prostate radiation treatment in September 2013 and has many follow-up test including now looking at the liver and soon his heart (Nuclear test). He has not worked since April 2013. He has not had the Agent Orange exam. What are your thoughts on that? What do you recommend as next steps while we wait to hear from the appeal?

A claim was filed in March and May 2013 for the kidney and prostate cancer but when I called the 1000# they have no record of receiving it. Also the DAV is representing him on this claim. I am waiting to hear back from the rep. I have not received a development letter on the claims. My husband’s file is considered sensitive but no one knows why. PLEASE help!!! What should we do? What can we do

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

These attorneys have to be accredited with the VA to handle claims.

I had a land lease lawyer a few years back to lease a small part of my farm , and as we BSed (he was a Vietnam veteran) he started talking to me about his claim and I mentioned whatever I had pending then as well because we both were dealing with the same RO.

The next day he called , not about the lease but said he sure wanted to rep me on my claim.But I didnt ask him to , we just bsed about our stuff, and I felt no need for a lawyer or rep.My evidence was solid.

( I guess he saw $$$ potential) I asked him if he was fully accredited with VA and he said no and didnt seem to think he needed to be.

Since he had already commiserated with me on his AO claim , I already knew he wasn't really familiar with the AO regs at all , ( he said 'who?' when I mentioned Nehmer)
so how could he become effective by handling my claim...

No way Jose.

Successful lawyers who represent vets either have their cases listed at their web sites or one can search for their name in BVA decision. I believe there is a list here at hadit of fully accredited lawyers.

I even asked the notable Ken Carpenter for some of his court cases for vets many years ago and he quickly rattled off some veteran's names whose cases were at COVA .
COVA and CAVC names of claimants and their lawyers are all public knowledge. ...another way to search for good vet lawyers by name at the CAVC.

We have to be careful of who represents us.

"I am not sure if we have a docket and remand number for all three claims. The appeal is one claim and the DAV is working on the other c" etc.....

Is the 50% your SC rating or his?

Is the appeal for an upgrade to his PTSD rating or actually for an initial PTSD rating?

What VARO did the appeal come from?

Maybe I can find it at the BVA with a few more clues.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, a whole bunch of SSD lawyers jumped on the VA bandwagon to expand their practice because they thought VA claims were easy money. There are some in my town who no longer represent vets. They found out how long they would have to wait to get their money. Lawyers tend to think that basic principles of law can be used at the VA. Just because VA hides evidence or violates common ideas about due process is not always a good claim. The paternalistic VA awards undeserving claims at times, and denies good claims at a whim. The system needs to be busted open but I won't be alive to see that unless Putin kicks off WWIII, and we have a couple of 100 million new vets.

John

Well Welcome to Hadit! My first thing would tell you to calm down and I know it is going to be hard for with all the things you have on your plate. Do you have children that my be able to help while you are running around with all the medical keep your vet alive?

A;; the info above is correct and some of the best for you!

Start cleaning the mess up like Berta and John have said and you should fine.

Keep coming here if you can.

Stillhere

"The lawyer with the VVA explained to me that an appeal and new claims cannot/will not be looked at during the same time. Has this been your experience? "

That is correct but do you lawyer or a vet rep?

"There was a claim for hypertension and sleep apnea, but somehow they were separated and not being addressed at this time.

There was some sort of remand that I do not understand. "

Understanding the remand can be critical.

Do you have a Docket number and Citation number for the remand?

"A claim was filed in March and May 2013 for the kidney and prostate cancer but when I called the 1000# they have no record of receiving it. Also the DAV is representing him on this claim. I am waiting to hear back from the rep. I have not received a development letter on the claims. "

I am surprised he has 2 POAs....? DAV and VVA...

If you go to the main VA web site http://www.va.gov/, click on Contact Us, then on Ask a question, the veteran can ask for the status of the hypertension and sleep apnea

claim ,as well as the status (or at least acknowledgement of receipt of, the additional kidney and prostate cancer claim.

. Thanks for your assistance, I submitted many questions to the recommend website. I still need thouhs on AO.

Well Welcome to Hadit! My first thing would tell you to calm down and I know it is going to be hard for with all the things you have on your plate. Do you have children that my be able to help while you are running around with all the medical keep your vet alive?

A;; the info above is correct and some of the best for you!

Start cleaning the mess up like Berta and John have said and you should fine.

Keep coming here if you can. Thanks for the response, no kids to help. I pray the VA has my husband's other claims on file.

Stillhere

These attorneys have to be accredited with the VA to handle claims.

I had a land lease lawyer a few years back to lease a small part of my farm , and as we BSed (he was a Vietnam veteran) he started talking to me about his claim and I mentioned whatever I had pending then as well because we both were dealing with the same RO.

The next day he called , not about the lease but said he sure wanted to rep me on my claim.But I didnt ask him to , we just bsed about our stuff, and I felt no need for a lawyer or rep.My evidence was solid.

( I guess he saw $$$ potential) I asked him if he was fully accredited with VA and he said no and didnt seem to think he needed to be.

Since he had already commiserated with me on his AO claim , I already knew he wasn't really familiar with the AO regs at all , ( he said 'who?' when I mentioned Nehmer)

so how could he become effective by handling my claim...

No way Jose.

Successful lawyers who represent vets either have their cases listed at their web sites or one can search for their name in BVA decision. I believe there is a list here at hadit of fully accredited lawyers.

I even asked the notable Ken Carpenter for some of his court cases for vets many years ago and he quickly rattled off some veteran's names whose cases were at COVA .

COVA and CAVC names of claimants and their lawyers are all public knowledge. ...another way to search for good vet lawyers by name at the CAVC.

We have to be careful of who represents us.

"I am not sure if we have a docket and remand number for all three claims. The appeal is one claim and the DAV is working on the other c" etc.....

Is the 50% your SC rating or his?

Is the appeal for an upgrade to his PTSD rating or actually for an initial PTSD rating?

What VARO did the appeal come from?

Maybe I can find it at the BVA with a few more clues.

. Good morning. 50% is service connected. He is requesting an increase. I hate to sound dumb regarding VARO l think it is VA but our RO office changed to PA. We do not know why. Thanks for your response.