VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has An American Veteran Ever Sued Vietnam Or Korea Over Ao?

Rate this question

Ascomdepot68

Question

Just wondering if an American Veteran has ever sued (successfully or not), even filed suit, against the government of Vietnam or Korea over Agent Orange related disabilities? Know we can't sue the US federal government. The US

policy is that the AO, Agent Blue, whatever, were the property of the respective governments once it entered their space.

To me this would seem to be in addition to whatever assistance a Veteran was receiving from the US. It would also

enable a Veteran's attorney to have the power of subpoena, a real courtroom trial, etc. instead of the travesty we

must endure at present.

Maybe some large attorney group would like to open a class action suit?

Of course since it has not been done (?) there may be some real reason it hasn't happened already.

Just thinking.

4 answers to this question

Agent Orange's devastating affects to American service personnel was caused, not by Vietnam or Korea but by the USA's DOD's acquisitions from
Dow, Monsanto, Hercules, Northwest Industries, Diamond Shamrock and North American Phillips. thechemical companies who made the AO and failed to consider it's potential affects to humans.

The class action case known as the Agent Orange Settlement Fund, involved the largest monetary settlement in the USA...180 Million...my husband and I ,after his death, received AO payments from the fund. This was in the mid 1980s when veterans (pre internet) did not have the vast ability we do today, to hear of this case and apply for part of the settlement.

Next to the AO Settlement Fund class action, only Nehmer, as a class action, affected AO vets in any substantial way as far as compensation goes.

.http://www.agentorangerecord.com/information/the_quest_for_additional_relief/

This link is a brief run down of the AO history....2 women were highly instrumental in the AO regs we have today:

"Maude De Victor, a case worker at the Veterans Affairs office in Chicago" ( also who a movie was based on ,with John Ritter)
and of course Beverly Nehmer who NVLSP represented as part of the Nehmer class Action case.

The article also mentions "The first lawsuit filed by a veteran about damage caused by Agent Orange was filed by twenty-eight-year old Paul Reutershan"

Our first Conus AO vet, James Cripps, did a SVR show here recently, and did a lot of legwork to prove he was exposed to AO at Fort Gordon.

It is the April 9th show still in the blogtalk.radio thing at the right of the main forum screen and also in the radio show archives.

Nothing is impossible, as James, and others have proved, by getting VA comp for AO for service outside of Vietnam and outside of the Korea and Thailand regs.

A Vietnamese group tried to sue the US for their disabilities due to AO a few years ago here in NY, but their suit failed.

About 9 or 10 years ago I mentioned the Blue Water AO vets to my former vet rep and he said "Who?"

He didnt have a clue.

Since then many BWN vets have had their ships put onto the AO exposure lists by proving to VA ,against all odds years ago, that they in fact were exposed to AO.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

If USA wanted to heal wounds of war in Vietnam they would compensate Vietnamese sprayed with AO. With this congress that would never happen. We admit that AO is killing our soldiers but say we have no responsibility to the people of an. Vietnam. We did not spray N. Vietnam . We sprayed the S. Vietnamese who were our allies.

I can't see S. Korea ever paying US soldiers for AO. You can sue another country in some court but you never get the money.

We dumped more Blue. White and Orange up in Laos and Cambodia than we ever did in RVN. If they had to abort due to Wx, the default was the Ho Chi Minh trail. Little of it was in RVN. We also hosed our Lima Sites where vegetation on STOL runways were a problem. And yes, Neutralist areas w/ poppy fields up near Ban Sam Neua. Route 7 at the north end of the PDJ looked like goats had been grazing there. We called it the PDJ Golf and Country Club.

a

Edited by asknod

• HadIt.com Elder

You think we maybe committed a few war crimes in other people's countries? That was part of Nixon's secret plan to end the war. He took over in 1968 and the war ended for us in 1973. We got the same deal from the NLF that we could have gotten in 1968. I wonder why other people don't like us. Now they don't even fear us. Let's spray Ukraine with AO. Even the Russians won't want it.