Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Awarded

Rate this topic

westcoastlv

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats and I am glad to hear that the VA is making it easier.

Thanks Everyone.

@NavyWife - we submitted all the medical records from Blue Button plus I had 2 psychiatrist statements the were written before the blue button existed. And yes, the blue button info is very detailed. For us, it contained all the notes from medical visits, mental health visits and medicine lists.

As with any encounter with the VA, especially when you're in the middle of a claim, be cautious of what you say to the note takers: doctors, nurses, emails to the docs, etc. They notate everything. Be honest, but don't say anything that could later be misunderstood. As an example, don't tell your doctor that you just came back from a wonderful vacation or how excited you are about some upcoming event. Those are the things that you should keep to yourself. It's not medically relevant and could be misunderstood by someone reading your records as a sign of medical/mental improvement.

I can't reasonable explain the quick success with Social Security. Today we found out that the retro check from SSDI is back to December of 2012. I didn't imagine they would use the same date that the VA determined the 100% disability began. All through the grace of God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

"Today we found out that the retro check from SSDI is back to December of 2012"

Congratulations!

Some years ago, I fought a similar battle in reverse!

(SSDI first, then VA)

I did have to go back to SSA and prove that I was disabled from a certain date, and appeal the original date they had assigned.

Turned out that the advice of a senior SSA clerk was invaluable in getting this done properly (administratively), without having to go through the

formal SSA appeals process. The more junior clerks were trying to steer me to the formal process, which takes a lot longer, and is a bigger hassle.

The original application process was also a bit bizarre, since my employment history did not fit the usual norms.

(I worked government contracts with multiple serial employers, yet had the same or similar tasks and duties for the same government entity.)

When a contract was over, or awarded to another company, the employers often closed any local offices, and disappeared.

Again, there were ways to deal with such things, but the junior SSA clerks just didn't have the foggiest.

When all was said and done, Nehmer review ended up assigning an EDD based upon the SSA date, since i had also applied and been awarded an A.O. presumptive disability. There was quite a bit of retro involved from the VA and SSA.

Edited by Chuck75

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use