Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gas Reimbursement For Va Appts?

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I ran in to a situation that I did not get a full travel pay because the appt. was to get a PCP at the VA hospital. I was told that the appt. could have been done in Flint, MI rather than at the Saginaw VA, and they only pay from my home to the closet VA facility, WTF!! No one told me that prior to the appt. If it have been for a procedure or a C and P I would have received full travel pay from my home.

Hugh

You need to complain. They made the appointment at that facility. The brochure and links from Carlie and NavyWife say nothing about reimbursing only to the closest facility. Of course, they probably have some fine print about it on rolling paper somewhere. I also have been told that if you are a walk-in, that you will be reimbursed only for one way. And then they have that 'deductible' that I refer to as "VA tax".

• HadIt.com Elder

Does VA pay for room and board if you must stay overnight to make an appointment that is 200 miles away? If I had to drive 200 miles for a VA appointment I would be asking for Fee Base. That is a onerous load to lay on a veteran that is unjust even if they pay for it unless it is for treatment of some rare disease, or would be horribly expensive in private sector.

You need to complain. They made the appointment at that facility. The brochure and links from Carlie and NavyWife say nothing about reimbursing only to the closest facility. Of course, they probably have some fine print about it on rolling paper somewhere. I also have been told that if you are a walk-in, that you will be reimbursed only for one way. And then they have that 'deductible' that I refer to as "VA tax".

At the time I questioned the Cashier when I get short changed, she told me to go back up and speak with the person at the sign in desk, I did and it was that person that informed me for what I stated in the post. I had been there for 5 hours, tired and just wanted to go home.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Some facilities have a dedicated travel rep. My VAMC gives you 30 days to resolve/file.

When I got sent out to do C and Ps I did get a travel reimbursement. Now to be seen after every appt I just go back up to the check in desk and ask for a travel voucher the checks take about six weeks. I have had a time where I was only given one way reimbursement...my therapist called in sick and for the long distance travel you should ask to be connected to the facility dept that handles the hotel arrangements They paid for my stay at a hotel when I have to travel the 100 miles to Augusta.