Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Vs Ocd

Rate this question

Mikemmlj

Question

My C+P is next week. I'm diagnosed by the VA with PTSD, OCD, Depression, and psychosis. I understand the VA will compensate for PTSD but not OCD. How do they tell what percentage of my disability is PTSD vs OCD?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

They do it by the symptoms. I also have multiple diagnosis. The person conducting the c&p will try to separate each symptom according to the diagnosis. For example he will put under Ptsd: depression, anxiety, exagerated startled ..ect. Under pshychosis he will put: audio hallucinations and all other symptoms related to psychosis. On OCD he will talk about the rituals and things of that matter. He will consider how each diagnosis impairs you and how related to service could be. For example he/she could say that your ptsd is 50/50 related to service, but depending on your medical history, childhood, drug/alcohol abuse ...ect. He/she could determine that your psychosis is 25% related to service or maybe 0% it all depends. Now if you drink alcohol before bed I recomend you don't even bring that up. I'm not saying "lie" I'm saying that if you are not asked, don't share it. They asume that if once a week you have a few beers before bed, they rule out everything else and relate your psychosis to alcohol abuse. Go early, they will give you a few tests to complete. Be careful how you answer. For example, there is a question that says: I often find myself sad for no reason. If you have ptsd you know why you are sad, is not for no reason. You had a bad experience in service, you remember it and is ruining your life. Sadness for no reason doesn't fly. Most veterans fall for these trick questions and get lowballed because of it. One last advice. Do NOT behave like the stereotipical veteran who goes to the c&p ready to snap. Do not snap at the doctor, it will hurt you trust me.

- I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell -

Thank You so much. So they can say I'm totally crazy but give me a lower percentage since some of my crazy is not military related.

They will only rate you for one mental problem as far as I know, but consider the others to dertermine how impaired you are to find and maintain work and social relations.

- I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell -

Nefer is right on the money. I have 70% for PTSD, which includes PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Adjustment Disorder, OCD, Insomnia and Hallucinations. You will be fine bud, just go in there and be honest. We all know what you are going thru

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Since someone at VA DX'ed you as being psychotic you should get 100% if you have an active, service connected psychosis. That means you are hearing voices and seeing things that are not there plus all the negative symptoms that go along with a psychotic type illness. Combat stress could cause a psychotic breakdown as could any type of the same type of stress that causes PTSD. If you can't work due to your emotional illness then you should be able to get TDIU or 100%. It is not the psychiatric DX that gets you a rating. It is the way the psychiatric illness affects your ability to work and function in society. I have no idea if they will do psychological testing on you, or the C&P doctor will just ask you a few questions.

John