Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Long Motorcycle Ride To My Initial Vr&e Appt Yesterday

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

And it was a hell of a motorcycle ride from my house. Turns out I need a softer seat for that ride.
Anyway, I went for the initial meeting with my counselor, who seemed nice enough, but was easily distracted. I had to go in without a plan, which I know, is HIGHLY discouraged, but I didn't know what it is that I wanted to do. I never had to think about something like that prior to this program. Before and after my time in the Marines, all I knew was manual labor and an education seemed like something that just wasn't for me. Now with my conditions, it made it even more difficult to find out not only what I wanted to do, but what my conditions allowed me to do. So I really needed some guidance just in that facet alone.
We did the skills/interests evaluation which helped me out alot, but now I have to put together this education plan. Needless to say, I am quite lost on this. So far, these past two days have been filled with research of all of the jobs that I have the aptitude for and I have narrowed it down to three areas: Accountancy (apparently I am good at financial details), Business Administration (Another result that surprised me) and Computer Science (I love tech!) Are there any I.T., accountancy, or business admin professionals out there who can nudge me in the right direction as far as getting this step going? Simple information like: education requirements, job skills, salary, etc. Or at least some experience in how to properly fill out the education plan, and what to plan for should any problems arise.
Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate everyone's posts. They keep me up and learning.... and entertained sometimes.
-Mario
Also, I know that I am eligible for 80% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the BAH allowance, will that still apply if I am using Chap 31? Or will it cover 100% of the tuition/fees and BAH?

6 answers to this question

If you love tech, computer science would be a good way to go! Are you talking programming, networking or web development?

I have been watching Bloomberg West -a TV show out of San Francisco. They also have a website. And they said there is about to be a huge shortage of computer programmers. They are estimating in the next few years there will be 1,400,000 jobs available for programmers but only 400,000 programmers available to fill those jobs! Salary would probably start around 80,000. Much higher if you were able to relocate to Silicon Valley. There's also a hub of start up technology companies in Southern California near Redondo Beach.

Networking jobs would probably pay about the same.

Web development a bit less probably starting at 60,000.

As far as education you can either go to a community college or a four-year college and get a degree in computer science. Also there are a lot of online schools teaching these things-- I don't know if that would be covered or not.

Must be exciting to be starting something new and fresh!

• HadIt.com Elder

What is your current level of education? If you really want a career in computer technology you usually need a degree in computer science. Are you good at math and I don't mean arithmetic.

NavyWife,

Gave great advice bud. Due to your disabilities, try to use your mind this go around and not your body. My Father has been working construction for 35 years and it kills me to watch him suffer in the winter and the Hot Summers we get in Texas. I too worked manual labor for years before I joined the Military to get an Education. In my case 3 Degrees did not get used due to my Health, but you sound like you would be a great computer guy. God Bless and good luck.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. My wife and I (and surprisingly, our kids) are super excited to start this new path.

If you love tech, computer science would be a good way to go! Are you talking programming, networking or web development?

I have been watching Bloomberg West -a TV show out of San Francisco. They also have a website. And they said there is about to be a huge shortage of computer programmers. They are estimating in the next few years there will be 1,400,000 jobs available for programmers but only 400,000 programmers available to fill those jobs! Salary would probably start around 80,000. Much higher if you were able to relocate to Silicon Valley. There's also a hub of start up technology companies in Southern California near Redondo Beach.

Networking jobs would probably pay about the same.

Web development a bit less probably starting at 60,000.

As far as education you can either go to a community college or a four-year college and get a degree in computer science. Also there are a lot of online schools teaching these things-- I don't know if that would be covered or not.

Must be exciting to be starting something new and fresh!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to check out those stats, I really like coding, but it's been so long since I've used the math part of my brain, I don't want to waste time and money on something that I may no longer be able to do. I've always been up for relocation, but the wife LOVES SoCal I'm not sure she's ready to leave. But I asked her if 10-15K difference in salary would help her decide, and she'd be up to it then.

Groovy you have those opportunities available, Mario, but don't rush into a decision.

Looks like exciting times ahead! :smile:

No rush here! More of an excited brisk walk to get this info processing. Thanks!

What is your current level of education? If you really want a career in computer technology you usually need a degree in computer science. Are you good at math and I don't mean arithmetic.

I started some college in the Computer Engineering field, but dropped out after learning to work through my PTSD. I love learning, but haven't had to do much of it doing the job I've been doing

NavyWife,

Gave great advice bud. Due to your disabilities, try to use your mind this go around and not your body. My Father has been working construction for 35 years and it kills me to watch him suffer in the winter and the Hot Summers we get in Texas. I too worked manual labor for years before I joined the Military to get an Education. In my case 3 Degrees did not get used due to my Health, but you sound like you would be a great computer guy. God Bless and good luck.

Thanks and my oldest son (13) will hopefully learn the difference in work status seeing me go from roughneck manual labor to the white collar world of computers and know what kind of difference a degree can make.

Thanks again everyone! I can't wait to get started, hopefully the company I work for now will see the opprotunity to groom an eventual replacement to someone in our organization with the exact degree that they want and buy in to this program so I can have the time off to go to in house classes instead of online. The degree and career change are the light at the end of a long tunnel, but that BAH is like flares that help get us through. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

And Carlie, it was Either that or lay down a sweater or something cause my glutes were killing me when i got home.

Semper Fi

-Mario