VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosis Within 1 Year Of Discharge.

Rate this question

BoonDoc

Question

I've read somwhere on here that if you have a medical diagnosis within 1 year it can be rated SC.

I was turned down for something that was diagnosed about 7-8 months of active duty. The diagnosis was made in a VA hospital.

Boondoc

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think many don't file right away because they don't see themselves as 'disabled'. This hurts many vets because it is harder to estabish SC as time goes by.

I didn't file for quite a few years because I just wanted fixed. I feel that if I was able, I could earn a much better living financialy by working. This should go unsaid for most of us. I didn't look at is as a suplemental income or something to fall back on. I was very stubborn that I didn't need that kind of help. Only help to get better. Life was very tuff when I waited and found I could not work and the claims process was to slow to help before I lost most everything.

In hindsight, myself and every veteran should have these injuries/illnesses established with the VA as soon as possible. Not as being treated, but also for beniffit purposes.

In short, don't second guess what is ratable. File your claim. Then take the time to get the information you need. My 27 cents (due to inflation).

Time

• HadIt.com Elder
I filed a VA claim just after I got out in 1969 and was given a full VA physical. I got 10% for Tinnitus. I didn't file another claim for 37 years. In 2005 and early in 2006, I have filed 7 additional separate claims. I haven't been rated for any of them, yet. Maybe, the VA will say that my problems didn't manefest themselves as they should have, earlier, and that there is no reason why they have only now became a problem 37 years later. I see that kind of logic as an excuse to grant a rating. People have reasons why they don't file.... working or living in foreign countries, no time, personal denial, not close enough to the VA to file, etc, etc. I think if you can establish SC, get a diagnosis, and a medical NEXUS, then, you have a good chance of winning even if its not in your service medical records or within 1 year of separation.

HOWEVER, in my case, I believe that since I filed within 1 year of separation and was given a complete 2-day physical, I have a good chance of winning and if I would not have done so in the 1 year period, that I would have a VERY difficult time winning, anything. For me, filing within that first year after separation was CRITICAL.

Am I right or wrong?

If I'm understanding you right, you originally filed for tinnitus and were awarded it. You don't state, or I may have missed it, whether you filed for other conditions, at that time. If you filed for other conditions and were denied you have an uphill battle. Not to say it can't be done, in some cases but once the deadline has tolled you'll probably need to CUE it, if you are trying for an EED. You will need some continuity of care or treatment, also. About the only one that doesn't need continuity of care is PTSD. Things like arthritis can be linked to traumatic earlier injuries.

I agree with Terry Higgins on this one. You do not have to link it to service if it is diagnosed within one year of service. Why? Because any disease or injury that surfaces within one year of discharge is automatically considered service connected.

If you file within the 1 year of discharge, and have the medical evidence to suport the claim it likley will be granted.

However if you wait longer than one year it becomes harder to prove because you must show a Nexus. That is that the current problem must be considered to be a cause of the original problem. In this case you will benefit from a doctors letter "stating it is more likely than not" or that "there is a 50/50 chance that the disease is a result from" . Hope this helps....

Note: I have been rated for problems 18- 20 years after service, the key for me was to actually cite active duty medical records and provide a doctors statement stating he reviewed the records and that the conditions were started on active duty.. ( ie: COPD, tinnitus, Hemorriods, hearing,).

Hope this helps.....

All, I appreciate the info. Thanks..

Boondoc

Edited by BoonDoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Rickb

I think you overcame great odds to get your conditions SC'ed after all those years. You have something on the ball, Bro, as does Terry Higgins and other people who have fought their way from horrible circumstances by force of will and intelligence.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rick54

You are right. Many medical and psych conditions can be serviced connected if some symptoms of the condition are noted by a doctor during service or within one year of discharge. There have been many veterans on hadit over the years who were originally diagnosed with symptoms of psych conditions and medical conditions who were service connected many years after discharge.

Each claim is won or lost on the medical principals involved. Only a doctor can make the determination if the symptpoms noted in the military are responsible for the current condition. I have seen initial post service treatment up to 15 years after discharge on a psych claim. It will be much harder for conditions such as back strains if you wait several years after discharge to seek initial post service treatment.

EXcellent advise here-

from you all-

And the military itself is providing excellent briefings for new -to- be- discharged vets while they are still in service as to how important it is to leave with your SMRs, and to file a VA claim ASAP for any inservice med problems.They state how important the EED is etc in that first year after discharge.

Well I say they are providing- I only heard that from a few new vets-and these briefings might even be optional-there is a lot of other stuff they have to do for the full discharge process.I will have to ask my kid if it is optional.

She was USAF but went instead to the Navy briefing on the VA to fit it into the discharge schedule she had and said it was excellent but of course they didnt say how the VA really was- she said -based on what she knows about VA -being the daughter of a veteran-and all of our friends are vets-

she would have had to re-enlist for 7 more years if the briefing told it all about the VA claims process! :D