Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New, Please Don't Haze

Rate this question

AngryA

Question

Hello everyone,

stumbled upon this site looking for answers on the internet. I am an OIF/OEF vet and was rated for several conditions back in 2006; I was so grateful for the financial assistance (still am) that I never questioned the diagnoses, or the ratings. Now that I am around veterans a lot more I have realized that I should re-evaluate my disability rating and its conditions.

One of the things I would like to be re-evaluated/adjusted/edit is my back condition. I was a gunner on a Humvee and was thrown from the turrrett. I broke some ribs and also messed up my back. I was given 10% for UMBOSACRAL OR CERVICAL STRAIN, but going over my recent VA notes, I see that there are mentions of Degenerative arthritis of the spine and stuff like "Facet osteoarthropathy most pronounced at L5-S1".

The back pain I am having now is the same pain I had in 2006, however, it appears that the notes from the recent C&P exam state that the arthritis is not related to the back strain. To me that seems absurd; it seems I was given a wrong diagnosis back in 2006, whether intentionally, or not. I believe I should have gotten the arthritis diagnosis back then. I was only 26 back then, and even now, it appears awfully strange to have arthritis at this age.

How would I go about adding/modifying the diagnosis related to back trauma? Please advise, and I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.

• HadIt.com Elder

One of our rules there are not many is to not get personal with Members.

Welcome to Hadit

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Welcome aboard and good luck to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome home and welcome here. Just file a claim for an increase, stating that your conditions have worsened and you can add those things that were not rated then, as secondary. Since you are already SC there is no need for you to provide any evidence, unless you have something you think should be added.

pr

Welcome home and welcome here. Just file a claim for an increase, stating that your conditions have worsened and you can add those things that were not rated then, as secondary. Since you are already SC there is no need for you to provide any evidence, unless you have something you think should be added.

pr

I think this is the case; from reading the notes, it appears they're saying the two conditions are unrelated, while I think it is the same condition, only it has been diagnosed right the last time.

Well, AngryA you seriously need to start reading Title 38 USC, and review the Spine section. ! Notice the various classifications and VA Dig. Codes which match the language of spinal or back sections called out in your medical notes. Study the issues of ROM, Pain, and flareups = physician prescribed "Bed Rest. Those issues you are discussing here are filed as increases against your lumbosacral strain/ The best thing now is you study the spine and learn the sections and structure. Here's a question for you... Are you working and what type of work are you performing. What relationship does your back or spine have with the performance of labor. ?? Have your VA Medical Providers recommended any Physical conditioning treatment (PT) and/or Medication for your back condition ? Do you have any bladder control problems or UI issues. ? If so you may have neurogenic bladder which is a secondary claim to spinal cord injury (lower back).