VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Just Got Back From My Sons Exam For Ptsd And Wanted Input.

Rate this question

kbman

Question

This is my first post and I wanted input on my sons PTSD exam.

The examiner said my son had multiple related diagnosis and his service connection was presumptive because of the conditions of his service and time period of diagnosis. He wanted to know why he waited so long to submit a claim after diagnosis. It's been 6 or 7 years since he was diagnosed right after service. He also said we should arrange to get power of attorney over him. He did not let me in at first and then called for me. He said had looked over his records and would look at some more records and then submit it to the regional office. The exam went quick he did not want to go into detail and said it would be not a stressful exam. My son has several hospitalizations, suicide attempts, near a dozen meds, multiple doctors and the exam lasted about 20 minutes. He has a diagnosis from at least 6 VA doctors. My son has flash backs all the time, becomes homicidal in addition to suicide, has lots of memory issues, wanders, has sleeping issues, nightmares and lots of other issues that make it impossible to take care of himself. When released from hospitalizations they always tell us not to leave him alone or let him live alone. Half of my time there was being given advice about his care and power of attorney.
So what are your thoughts?

I have never been in your shoes but I don't see how you can do anything other than continue to listen to the medical experts when it comes to your son's care. With your son's medical history, the suggestion of a power of attorney for your son also sounds reasonable.

I hope you and other family members are receiving counseling to assist in dealing with your son's complex medical issues. I know it has to be hard on all of you. Hopefully other hadit member's who have experienced similar situations will be able to offer you better advice.

I wish you and your family well and hope your son receives the treatment he needs and the benefits he has earned.

I filed my claim 7 years after being diagnosed (right after service) this is common among Iraq/Afghanistan first and second rotation vets. We got out not knowing something was wrong with us. Then, we thought we could deal with it ourselves since we were taught that those with ptsd were weak and we don't want to be among the weak, so we lived in denial. For what you say here your son will get 70%-100% rating but more importantly, here will get the treatment he needs.

• HadIt.com Elder

I waited 21 years to file my claim. Thank you for helping your son. Has your son been able to work anytime or now since he left Army. You should consider filing for Social Security Disability it is time sensitive. The VA may take a long time but at least they will pay a claim many years later.

Good Luck

Thank you so very much for standing by your son! My family did the same for me 40 years ago; and although my life has been nothing like I planned, it has certainly been a full one with very few regrets. Without their help, I most certainly would not have survived the VA. Even with their help, it was touch and go for way too many years.

There is nothing stronger than a vet and his supporting family (and friends). The VA shudders when it encounter such opponents; and make no mistake about it--veterans and the VA are opponents. There is nothing "non-adversarial" about our relationship. When a fiduciary is suggested to safeguard a veteran's benefits, the battle can become a desperate battle of wills with the VA having almost all of the tools to defeat you. Your best chance of having no problems, or atleast far fewer problems, with this is to be extremely pro-active and well prepared. There will be a million questions; and there are members here that can answer (or find the answers) to almost all of them.

I recommend that you visit Jim Strickland's website here:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/fiduciary-appointments.html

After reading Jim's information and the great information available here on hadit, you will understand just how bad it can get. Veterans' advocate and attorney, Katrina Eagle, did all veterans a favor when she fought the VA on this issue several years ago. I would atleast call her office for a consultation. As I recall, she and her staff are very generous with their information and do offer a free evaluation of your situation. Since you are not in an appeal, I don't think that she or any other attorney can actually represent you and your son, but they can, and most will, steer you in the right direction.

http://www.eagleveteranslaw.com/Contact.html

As Pete advised, absolutely, apply for SSDI right away.

Finally, you must take care of yourself during this process. I will take a toll on you! If you need help, ask for it. That advise is not only for you, but also for your son and anyone helping and supporting him. Personally, I believe not asking for help is second only to the malfeasence of our dysfunctional DVA in harming PTSD vets.

I hope all goes well for you and yours. Please keep us posted.