Re-Evaluation?

bensonsr

Question

I am rated overall 80%; 33%PTSD. Ive been seeing a psych for meds at the va hospital. These visits were primarily to keep the meds coming. Ive recently started seeing a psychologist and obtained my records for him to see. THe VA Doctor had continually posted "presents better than the rating would suggest" over and over. Ive seen her 4 times / year for a few minutes each time. The Psychologist Im currently seeing says that she's dead wrong, my PTSD is severe. I'm having him fill out the 0960P-3 form.

Question?

Do I dare submit? I'm afraid the VA will look at the other doctors' notes and lower my rating.

Recommendations?

THanks

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. I have never seen a 33% rating for PTSD or any other one for that matter. I suspect that your professional who says it is severe is your best chance for a higher rating.

Welcome to Hadit. I am not sure how much weight the private psychologist's opinion would carry with the VA when you request an increase but I would definitely obtain copies of your medical records from your private psychologist and also ask your private psychologist for an IMO.

According to posts I have seen on this website, your PTSD diagnosis has to be made by a VA doctor and the VA will not accept a PTSD DBQ from a private doctor. I think this is unfair and the VA is doing this to limit the costs of PTSD claims. However, since you have already been diagnosed for PTSD by your VA doctor, the main question would be the severity of your PTSD. The VA may totally ignore your private medical records but it would not hurt your request for an increase by sending them to the VA.

It may also help if your private psychologist has better credentials to back up their opinion than your VA doctor. For example, you have a VA doctor with only a few years of experience and has never worked anywhere other than the VA and you have a private psychologist who graduated from a highly reputable med school, has 30 years of experience, specializes in PTSD, teaches at the local medical school, has written several articles on PTSD, etc. It would be hard for the VA not to consider the opinion of your private doctor as a more reliable opinion than the VA doctor.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the quick responses. The PTSD is actually 30% (overall 80% rating, 33% was a swag). I feel that my condition has worsened and would like to request a relook. (the term IMO was in a response, not sure what that is). The form ia a disability benefits questionaire VBA 21-0960P-3, and I am having my Pschologist fill it out. My concern is that they see the Psychiatrists notes stating basicly that I dont present at the 30% level of disability and the disability is rolled back. I see her for 15 minutes ata time quarterly. She asks a few questions typing away and deflects any issues I bring up. I did not realize this was happening until I got a copy of my records for my psychologist. My pscychologist today told me that I am indeed much worse than she lets on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SB

Thanks for the quick responses. The PTSD is actually 30% (overall 80% rating, 33% was a swag). I feel that my condition has worsened and would like to request a relook. (the term IMO was in a response, not sure what that is). The form ia a disability benefits questionaire VBA 21-0960P-3, and I am having my Pschologist fill it out. My concern is that they see the Psychiatrists notes stating basicly that I dont present at the 30% level of disability and the disability is rolled back. I see her for 15 minutes ata time quarterly. She asks a few questions typing away and deflects any issues I bring up. I did not realize this was happening until I got a copy of my records for my psychologist. My pscychologist today told me that I am indeed much worse than she lets on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SB

The Psychiatrist has no business or authority to opine on what your evaluation (percentage) should be,that authority is held by the VBA decision makers.

The doc's job is to report symptoms and opine on how those symptoms would effect occupational and social functioning and Rx / manage meds if needed.

Sure sounds like this one is trying to play the gatekeeper game.

I would suggest requesting a change in Psychiatrist for your meds.

jmho