VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

missouriMedic

Question

So I am being treated for PTSD thru the VA for almost a year now. I went in to talk to someone about depression and other issues with it and have been advised that it is PTSD from when I was in the Air Force in Germany and was harassed by the NCO's and NCOIC of my shop for over 6 months until I PCS'd out to the states and then got out. While in Germany and being harassed, I started drinking heavily and became very depressed and paranoid. When I got out I was drinking very heavily, and started doing drugs and this was the mid 90's when crack was running wild thru America, I tried and kill my self one day after being busted trying to sell some drugs and when that did not work I went to the VA for help. I went to the ER one day and they told me that there was no room for them to help me and gave me a Rx for thiamine and a antidepressant and sent me on my way with no follow up. So flash forward 19 years and here I am sitting in a BH office breaking down and I don't know why when they tell me this is all due the stress of the harassed in Germany and cant believe I made it this far with no help ( Its was really hard, not married, depressed all the time, tired and kill my self 3 times).

But anyway I filed a claim for depression, HTN, and sleep disorder. back in March 31st 2014. My VA BH doc wrote a letter to the review and started that I have severe PTSD and can not work, along with my PCP wrote a letter, and I went and paid for a privet BH doc to review and look at my records and she also wrote a letter stating severe PTSD. All of which I have filled. All I have heard from them is that they wanted a signed form 21-4142 which I signed and sent in. Other than that I have not heard a thing. I get treatment thru the VA monthly seeing the BH doc's and taking the med's.

I was wondering about the fact that I was denied treatment and care back in 1995 when I went to the VA ER in St Louis for treatment and help and was turned away. they never even gave me a VA card. I think that they never signed be up for benefits back then. I can prove that I was seen due to the fact that I have records shows Rx that were given to me back then in my VA medical records but not sure if they show that I was seen in the ER for I cant get them to show me the records.

So what do you all think I should do from this point.

• HadIt.com Elder

It should not matter how long you waited to get the the help you need, just keep going to treatment and get yourself better, you need all medical documentation to help you with your claim Mostly you need your stressors to help SC this and then you will be given a decision on what %  if you meet the VA criteria for the DSM5 PTSD.

if your denied?  you can get new & material evidence and file NOD  an appeal your decision.

non- combat veteran can get PTSD  you just need to prove your case to the VA.

JMO

..........Buck

I am relieved to see this message. One of my Navy Veteran friends who is a nurse locally said they are starting to see a wave of Female Veterans about my age coming in with PTSD from years of abuse suffered in their duty sections by co-workers.

I have been diagnosed Anxiety/Panic disorder with depression. I have it noted in my service medical records as "adjustment disorder" and was referred for stress management in 89'. In addition, I have supporting statements from one of my former female supervisors who was also harassed.

There were 4 woman in a shop of 40 (Jet Engine Mechanics). Needless to say, the majority of our co-workers did not appreciate having us around so made our lives miserable no matter how hard we worked.

Two cross-trained, 1 separated and I was left holding the bag so was getting harassing phone calls at home as well during Gulf 1. We all filed a harassment complaint that wasn't taken seriously (prior to Tail hook) which is why I separated at the last minute even though my re-enlistment packet was completed.

I would have a panic attack sjust driving by the road that went to the engine shop after I separated until the base closed in 92' when we left. I was reluctant to admit I was a Veteran until 2 years ago when I started working for VHA and my fellow Veterans started pushing me to file my claim.

The people who abused us all those years ago don't have a clue how much damage they caused.

USAF-Vet,

I am glad you were finally able to 1) admit you are a Veteran, and 2) speak up and seek help.

I believe there are far more like missouriMedic than anyone in official capacity cares to admit. 

Personally, I only just began treatment for MH, and did not suffer any traumatic event or combat.  However due to a combination of stressors I developed sleep issues, and then turned to booze to help sleep.  And that just compounded the problems, heaped on top of physical pain from falling down a flight of stairs on day 5 of boot camp.

That fall happened in November of 1992. It was only this past Summer that I learned that there was MH help available for Veterans who didn't fall into "normal" categories for MH illnesses.  I always thought there was nothing for me,  but thank God for Hadit and the Vets on here.  They encouraged me to choose life.  I am more grateful than I could ever say, to the Veterans here.

So missouriMedic can and will find relief and assistance here, and so can/will you.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Thanks Andy, it has not been an easy road.

My husband is a combat Veteran (Gulf 1 & 2, Pakistan) with PTSD.

Needless to say, we had to modify things we used to enjoy due to environmental factors that trigger both of us.

USAF-Vet,

It's tough to make any headway when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Is your husband in the system?  I don't want to assume, if so, can he provide you with any assistance/experience in navigating the never ending always changing maze that is the VA claims process?

The first step is already done, and that is the hardest one to take, asking for help.  Your second step was joining Hadit, and now you're already on your way down your own yellow brick road! You will eventually reach the "Emerald City"(aka success with your claims).  We, here, all have gone down that road.  Some of us are still going down it, for the umpteenth time, and it's still one foot in front of the other.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Husband is retired (VA 50%) and we're both treated at AF medical facility.

Hubby is just now relenting about seeking treatment and getting a VA claim done for PTSD. Our DAV rep. is helping.

I've had treatment, have meds for attacks and meds to help me sleep because I'm always in pain so haven't slept well in years.