Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

missouriMedic

Question

So I am being treated for PTSD thru the VA for almost a year now. I went in to talk to someone about depression and other issues with it and have been advised that it is PTSD from when I was in the Air Force in Germany and was harassed by the NCO's and NCOIC of my shop for over 6 months until I PCS'd out to the states and then got out. While in Germany and being harassed, I started drinking heavily and became very depressed and paranoid. When I got out I was drinking very heavily, and started doing drugs and this was the mid 90's when crack was running wild thru America, I tried and kill my self one day after being busted trying to sell some drugs and when that did not work I went to the VA for help. I went to the ER one day and they told me that there was no room for them to help me and gave me a Rx for thiamine and a antidepressant and sent me on my way with no follow up. So flash forward 19 years and here I am sitting in a BH office breaking down and I don't know why when they tell me this is all due the stress of the harassed in Germany and cant believe I made it this far with no help ( Its was really hard, not married, depressed all the time, tired and kill my self 3 times).

But anyway I filed a claim for depression, HTN, and sleep disorder. back in March 31st 2014. My VA BH doc wrote a letter to the review and started that I have severe PTSD and can not work, along with my PCP wrote a letter, and I went and paid for a privet BH doc to review and look at my records and she also wrote a letter stating severe PTSD. All of which I have filled. All I have heard from them is that they wanted a signed form 21-4142 which I signed and sent in. Other than that I have not heard a thing. I get treatment thru the VA monthly seeing the BH doc's and taking the med's.

I was wondering about the fact that I was denied treatment and care back in 1995 when I went to the VA ER in St Louis for treatment and help and was turned away. they never even gave me a VA card. I think that they never signed be up for benefits back then. I can prove that I was seen due to the fact that I have records shows Rx that were given to me back then in my VA medical records but not sure if they show that I was seen in the ER for I cant get them to show me the records.

So what do you all think I should do from this point.

Sorry no one answered yet........

You fall under the new 2010 PTSD regulations here in the PTSD forum.

Since you have the PTSD VA diagnosis that hurdle is over.

I don't see here any specific stressor mentioned in your post and the VA will need proof of the stressor that caused the PTSD.

If the VA awards you for PTSD, the retro will be back to the date of the formal claim you filed.

Also with the Drs statement they will probably consider you for TDIU .

But they need a valid stressor and proof of it since you are not OIF OEF veteran.

I geared this past post to combat stressors but a vet can sure experience non combat stressors and have PTSD.

Harassment alone I do not think the VA would consider to be a stressor,unless there is proof of a personal assault as well.

If it involved physically aggressive assaults against you and definitely if it involved sexual harrassment,or rape , then with proof of that the VA might well consider this is a stressor.

VA realises that many MST cases and personal assault cases often have no record in the SMRs or 201 file, However there are other ways to prove these things did happen in the service.

You might need some buddy statements.

You will receive a VCAA letter telling you what info the VA still needs.

So I am being treated for PTSD thru the VA for almost a year now. I went in to talk to someone about depression and other issues with it and have been advised that it is PTSD from when I was in the Air Force in Germany and was harassed by the NCO's and NCOIC of my shop for over 6 months until I PCS'd out to the states and then got out. While in Germany and being harassed, I started drinking heavily and became very depressed and paranoid. When I got out I was drinking very heavily, and started doing drugs and this was the mid 90's when crack was running wild thru America, I tried and kill my self one day after being busted trying to sell some drugs and when that did not work I went to the VA for help.

In order to get SC'd for this you will need a diagnosis from the MH peeps that state something like

they have reviewed your claims file - they have DX'd you with PTSD due to XYZ on active duty or

they have DX'd you with depression due to XYZ on active duty, and support both / either, with full

medical rationale such as: per smr's or evidence dated XX/XX/XXXX, blah, blah, blah, it is their opinion

these DX MH conditions are at least as / more likely, as not related to active duty.

As for the suicide attempt, they are more likely than not, going to state it was due to getting busted for

selling the drugs.

BTW - they will need to show support of their diagnosis by the criteria in the DSM.

This might be difficult for them to do based on harassment, it can only be done with sufficient evidence

to support the opinion.

I went to the ER one day and they told me that there was no room for them to help me and gave me a Rx for thiamine and a antidepressant and sent me on my way with no follow up. So flash forward 19 years and here I am sitting in a BH office breaking down and I don't know why when they tell me this is all due the stress of the harassed in Germany and cant believe I made it this far with no help ( Its was really hard, not married, depressed all the time, tired and kill my self 3 times).

But anyway I filed a claim for depression, HTN, and sleep disorder. back in March 31st 2014. My VA BH doc wrote a letter to the review and started that I have severe PTSD and can not work, along with my PCP wrote a letter, and I went and paid for a privet BH doc to review and look at my records and she also wrote a letter stating severe PTSD.

Although you might have a DX for PTSD / Depression, many other things are needed first to get this SC'd.

A diagnosis alone won't cut it.

IMO - this will be a difficult case for SC of a mental health disorder. Regardless of how severe your symptomology is

the VBA will first have to adjudicate whether it is even service connected or not.

Did you submit any evidence of the harassment, buddy statement's, old letters you wrote home to family, performance

evaluations that show a decline at the time, etc . . .

All of which I have filled. All I have heard from them is that they wanted a signed form 21-4142 which I signed and sent in. Other than that I have not heard a thing. I get treatment thru the VA monthly seeing the BH doc's and taking the med's.

Treatment and warranting SC are two different things, always go to treatment if needed.

I was wondering about the fact that I was denied treatment and care back in 1995 when I went to the VA ER in St Louis for treatment and help and was turned away. they never even gave me a VA card. I think that they never signed be up for benefits back then. I can prove that I was seen due to the fact that I have records shows Rx that were given to me back then in my VA medical records but not sure if they show that I was seen in the ER for I cant get them to show me the records.

Personally, I would have or would now submit, the records above in regard to the claim,

if it is evidence that would help support the claim issue/s.

When were you discharged from active duty ?

Did you have a separation physical / exam ?

If yes, is there anything on it that relates to mental health ?

jmho - carlie

So what do you all think I should do from this point.

Well I am not sure why I have not had any replies yet. I guess I need to ask certain questions.

Anyone providing help here does so on a voluntary basis. You only opened this topic 4 hours ago.

We unfortunately do not have a team of people just sitting around waiting for questions.

Members come on here and provide help when and how they feel able, at their discretion.

This is not meant to be offensive to you, as I said this is all on a voluntary basis that they give

of their time and knowledge.

What are my chances of getting some type of disability.

There is a possibility - if you can provide the evidence needed.

If disability is awarded what %

Absolutely no way to even guess anything other than if service connection will

even be granted. That is your first hurdle - getting an issue to be granted as service connected

comes first - above and beyond anything else at all.

An evaluation for percentage level of compensation is not even in the equation until the issue

is deemed by the vBA to be service connected.

How far back will it be awarded? 2014 or 1995

You posted, "But anyway I filed a claim for depression, HTN, and sleep disorder. back in March 31st 2014."

There is absolutely no way what so ever that IF your issues are granted to be service connected, the effective date

would be adjudicated back to 1995, as no claim for benefits had been submitted or of record.

Also, please clarify - did you submit your mental health condition/s as a claim for SC of PTSD or a Claim for depression

or a claim for both PTSD and Depression.

I ask because the criteria for SC of each is different.

jmho - carlie

Keep in mind he didn't DX himself.  He was just stating what 2 different BH docs DXd him with. 

Don't forget that long term exposure to mental stress can lead to strange things, such as "Stockholm syndrome" where hostages begin to see things from the hostage taker's point of view and even take their side.