VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Had My Exam ...

Rate this question

ACNoriega

Question

Morning all.. new to the forum.

Filed for disability comp and pen February this year. Just had my exam Friday for my lower back.

Had several documented back episodes while active duty, USN, stationed on my ship. Now separated. Actually been separated since 2000.

Several document episodes while civilian at the VA hospital.

Had and MRI administered by VA hospital that showed bulging disc L5 S1.

Had injection in disc several years ago.

I guess you could say there was the "nexus" of injury sustained while on active duty now causing problems.

While I was in the office with the examiner, she pulled up my X-rays I took 1 day prior to the exam, and there were notes as reviewed by another doctor that stated "narrowing of the disc area", "degenerative", and "spinal sub-laxations" and a few other notes.

Just last week my status was "Gathering Information" now my status is in "Preparation for Decision".

Does all of this sound like I could potentially be awarded comp and pen?

I dont know how all of the percentages work, or what validates and actual claim.. new to all of this. Sorry for the "noob" questions.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

I agree with Mike. It does sound like they are rolling along.

It sounds like you have the in-service cause and current diagnosis down, but the big catch that gets most Vets is the "nexus". Please remember that even though something is obvious to you and me, the nexus connecting the two sometimes escapes the VA docs or the raters at the regional office. If you have or can get a copy of the C&P exam report, see if you can find anything like "least as likely as not", "more likely", or "is due to". If the VA uses terms like those describing service connection, you might be in good shape.