VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

World War Ii Va Vet Claim

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a World War II VET who wants to file a VA compensation claim. He had a head injury in 1944 while in service and it has affected him ever since. He is 87 years old. He presently gets SSA and railroad retirement medicare. He does not get a check from the railroad just medicare. He retired from work in 1996.

1. Does anyone know whether he can file a compensation claim with him receiving railroad medicare and not having railroad mess with his medicare.

2. What is the Regulation Code that can be used whereas they would look at his claim right away.

Thanks!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi everyone,

I have a World War II VET who wants to file a VA compensation claim. He had a head injury in 1944 while in service and it has affected him ever since. He is 87 years old. He presently gets SSA and railroad retirement medicare. He does not get a check from the railroad just medicare. He retired from work in 1996.

1. Does anyone know whether he can file a compensation claim with him receiving railroad medicare and not having railroad mess with his medicare.

2. What is the Regulation Code that can be used whereas they would look at his claim right away.

Thanks!

I see no reason they would mess with his medicare. One has nothing to do with the other. As for a regulation or code to get them to look at his claim right away, I know of none. A couple of years ago the VA developed teams, can't recall their names, that are supposed to handle claims of those 70yo and above, in an expeditious manner.

pr

• In Memoriam

Phil --

The fact that a veteran receivs SSDI or Railroad Retirement does not affect his right to VA compensation. As for expediting his clam, ask for advancement on the docket due to his advanced age.

Alex

Edited by Alex

Charleese,

Has the veteran ever filed a claim with VA, prior to this for any disability to be service connected ?

If yes what was or were the claimed disabilities and what were the results ?

You said he wants to file a claim for a head injury --- I feel this is much too generalized of a request

and he will need to be more specific . What are the documented symptoms and has he received

continuity of care through either the private sector or VA ?

carlie

Charleese,

Has the veteran ever filed a claim with VA, prior to this for any disability to be service connected ?

You said he wants to file a claim for a head injury --- I feel this is much too generalized of a request

and he will need to be more specific . What are the documented symptoms and has he received

carlie

Charleese,

carlie

Hi Carlie,

No he has never filed a claim before because he didn't know that he could. Yes he wants to file this claim now that he knows he can. This injury has plagued him throughout the years. Because of it he has suffered with blackouts/fainting spells, terrible headaches, and falling at times. Over the years the falling had gotten worse and frequently. He has had a major operation on his head because of bleeding in the head. They even had to put a rod in his right leg because of the falls. He has developed a heart condition, had a stroke, diabetes, prostrate cancer, depression, and poor circulation of right leg and weakness of left leg. Yes he has been treated and cared for privately over the years for these conditions.

I believe he can connect the head injury with the blackouts/fainting spells, and headaches. The falls he can connect because of the blackouts/fainting spells with his right leg. He can say that because of his right leg it has made his left leg weak. His right leg is also shorter than the left. His prostrate cancer he could say is from the atmospheric testing and fumes from airplanes in North Africa. The Depression, heart condition and stroke he can say comes from everything. The diabetes he may have a hard time conneting even though it would secondary.

He's going to need a lot of help with this.

If you or anyone on hadit can help me to help him and trying to get a nexus to all of the above I certainly will appreciate it

Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

Does he have a copy of his service medical records or personnel records or did they burn up like my Dad's at St Louis? If he has records of in-service injuries or combat awards it will be easier to win some of these claims. If he is a combat veteran a lot of what he says must be taken as truth by reasonable doubt. Reason being a lot of things happen in combat that are not written down in reports.