Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Did Me Right! May 2013 To November 2014

Rate this topic

Navy4life

You are welcome.

I am fairly new to this site but wanted to share my success story with everyone. Don't ever give up on what you feel you are entitled too. I got out of the military in 1996 without ever having a separation physical. I gave birth to my daughter and went on maternity leave and then honorably discharged. I went on with my life never knowing I should have been reviewed for service connection on contentions. FAST FORWARD to May 2013....I was sitting around the house with my boyfriend of almost one year at that time and a friend - both of whom are prior military themselves and both of whom were service connected for their disabilities. We started talking about my military career and how I broke my ankle/sprained my other ankle, had an eating disorder in the military and still do, etc....They urged me to go see a DAV rep and start a claim. So the next week I made a copy of my SMR - YES I actually kept an entire copy of my SMR....Little did I know it would be of vital importance for my claims....

On May 10, 2013 I walked into the DAV office and started my claim journey........Never thinking I would get S/C for anything....The DAV rep filed over 17 contentions on my behalf....Now some I felt were not going to hold water but he said "let's just submit and let the VA decide" - he was always there for me - when I would call and he was not there he would return my phone calls. I was also my own best ADVOCATE!!! I made sure I got everything needed for my claims.

I had numerous C&P Exams in July 2013 and then I sat dormant for many many months....FAST FORWARD to June 2014 I received partial S/C 40%, along with back pay :) and then back to Gathering of Evidence I went. I was also at this time seeking MH help for my Eating Disorder - while doing so I disclosed my MST and that got the ball rolling for amending my claim to add PTSD (Secondary to Personal Assault)....

July 2014 I received a call from a lady at the RO office - she was a Women's Coordinator she called to help me amend my claim and get all the documents filled out and uploaded onto Ebennies along with any evidence to support the claim. She provided a direct number for me to call her anytime for updates, questions, concerns....I was thrilled to have her helping me and I felt like she was my guardian angel :biggrin:

Around October I went from GOE to PFD and I had still not had my C&P for MH. I called my contact and she got an email to the rater letting them know. Two days later back to GOE and a C&P Exam was ordered. Oct. 9th I had my C&P Exam.....

Nov 2014 - I went from GOE - PFD - PDA - PFN all within about a two week time frame....

Today I saw I am officially increased to 60% S/C and that it closed on 11/4/14 - I just downloaded my letter and I couldn't be anymore happier!!!! I called my contact and she was able to see that the retro has been authorized and should be a matter of days before I see it!!!!!

So my story is of one that is of a SUCCESS - I did not go through any major denials that will warrant appeals but I am going to review my BBE when it comes and if there is something I feel should have been rated I will appeal.....

For now I am content on this entire process and I am very happy with the VA and how they managed my claim and the fact that all the "i'" and "t" were dotted....

To all of you waiting - I wish you much success on your claims!!!

Great news to read the claims process has gone smoothly for a vet.

Just an FYI - At 50% SC or higher, the VA is liable to take care of ALL your medical needs

and RX meds with NO Co-PAY's (except dental), to include treatment and RX's for

non - SC'd conditions - including eye exams and glasses if needed and hearing tests

along with hearing aids if needed.

These are great additional benefits IMO.

Also, be sure to check out any STATE benefits you might be eligible for now.

Spend wisely.

Thank You Carlie for the additional info! I do need dental work done but I wasn't sure the VA offered it. I also need to get my eyes checked so that will be good as well!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use