VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Request/privacy Act Requet Reopened On Ebenefits

Rate this question

MarkInTexas

Question

Here's a new one to me. The VA reopened my old open records/privacy act request for my C-File that had been completed back in July, 2014. I had filed the request back in February, 2013, waited nearly a year and a half for the documents, and ended up doing a Presidential inquiry in late May, 2014, and amazingly the C-File arrived in early July.

I'm not sure why the VA would have reopened it this month, unless it has something to do with the 80-something pages of other veterans' medical records that were inside it. However, I had let the VA know that back in July as well via IRIS, but I didn't ask for a "purged" copy.

I haven't made any new requests, so it's kind of strange. Anybody have this happen? Or what it could mean?

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

Folks:

I learned a very tough lesson this week and that's that if you request your C-File (even if it's your legal right to do so) and you want to ensure that there are no errors with regard to your C-file before it's adjudicated...you'll be penalised for it in the timeline. My VSO said it will cost me at least 6 months of a delay now on my claim? The fact that VBA counts this as a seperate and "new claim" against your file which takes it "out of the line" is just not right? At least, they should alert Vets first before they penalise thems on an FDC? I followed every single FDC Program rule to the letter-of-the-law. I did not add any evidence whatsoever that would have to be reviewed? Also, all of the disability claims files are now digitised anyway and there's only 2 VBA Claims Intake Centers now. So, even if the Regional Office gets a new diability claim now..they just send it away to the nearest intake center anyway. So, it would be nothing in terms if labor to make an electronic digital copy for a FOIA request with a very minimal effort...but I would contend not enough to now put my claim in claims purgatory...for the "sin" of requesting a copy of the exact files that they are looking at? Hopefully, nothing is missing in my claim now?

Edited by rootbeer22

Rootbeer--

Did you receive a letter saying your claim was taken out of the FDC lane? If not then it's still in there.

A C file request is not technically a claim, Just the way they enter it in the system it shows up as a claim. Don't believe everything your VSO tells you. Why don't you just email Bob with a short description of your issue along with your name and Social Security number? That's what everyone else has been doing who's had issues with their claims. Robert.m.mcdonald@va.gov

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its best to go to your RO and look at your c-file vs have it sent to ya with a claim pending.

some say you need to request RO to come look at it??...I didn't I just went. and they let me see it!

Edited by britton

Folks:

Yes...I'm going to look at My C-file next week as things slow down at the RO. It was a huge mistake to request a FOIA and it cost me another couple of years of processing my claim. Everyone was well meaning who gave me that advice and it appears to be something that is used to game the backlog and make some stats look better...but one neever really knows if the rumors are true or not in terms of the costs of requesting a FOIA?