Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bbe Arrived - Increase For Dep But Deferral For Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

aplcr0331

Question

Got the BBE yesterday. I was granted increase from 0%-10% for my Depression bringing me up to a total of 30%. My knee ratings stayed the same, 10% each. Sleep Apnea was deferred however and the reason given was "medical opinion". So good news and some "meh" news I suppose. I'm not sure what to do now on the OSA, should I contact my Droctor and have him write a DBQ? Will the VA schedule a C&P appointment for more information? Not sure how to proceed.

Edited by aplcr0331

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes the VA will go ahead and provide ratings for completed portions of a claim, but will defer ratings for other conditions.

In my opinion, getting a DBQ from your doc could be beneficial, especially if your doc links SA to your service using the correct terminology. But even with a DBQ, the VA can still request a C&P. If you do not have a recent sleep study, the VA might schedule one. I had one a few years back and it took about five or six months from the time the consult was put in until the study was performed. After the study results are in, the VA will likely schedule you for a C&P and/or the doc will render a medical opinion. It might be worth a shot to call the C&P clinic to see if they have you scheduled for any upcoming appointments related to your SA claim.

My claim for depression was as a secondary condition to my Sleep Apnea. I was awarded 0% service connected for depression on my first claim back in 2005 but denied for Sleep Apnea at that time. I re-opened the Sleep Apnea claim back in 2013 and claimed depression as secondary to OSA. I was awarded an increase in my depression from 0% to 10% on my claim from 2013. The OSA was deferred at this time. I will go back to my Doctor and see if I can get a letter from him. Would a DBQ form from that VA work in this instance?

I'm so confused.

Do you have any service connection for sleep apnea right now? Even a 0%?

No, I was denied Sleep Apnea on my initial claim back in 2005. In 2013 I had another sleep study done and was again diagnosed with OSA. That's when I filed for the OSA again. And then also filed for an increase in the Depression secondary to the OSA.