VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Hearing - What's It Like? Plan Of Attack?

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

I have a DRO hearing on the 6th. I've read a few different things online but was wondering who else might have some input? Just curious, do you argue your case or just present facts? Is it a back and forth type conversation or just cut & dry? What's it like?

Do you lead off with questions? As an example: Why was my increase denied? What evidence do I need to prove my claim?

Or, do you just lay out the evidence that contradicts their "reasons and bases" for denial and call it a day? Are they typically pro-veteran and understanding or can I expect to have my blood pressure rise?

Happy New Year!

• HadIt.com Elder

DRO hearings are a chance to have give and take with a decision maker a rare opportunity for any of us when dealing with VA. It is informal but it is recorded and a transcript is made. A lot of times the Hearing Officer will make sure that follow up is made. I like it but some don't

DRO hearings are a chance to have give and take with a decision maker a rare opportunity for any of us when dealing with VA. It is informal but it is recorded and a transcript is made. A lot of times the Hearing Officer will make sure that follow up is made. I like it but some don't

That's the part that intrigues me the most. Prior to that you're just a faceless stack of paper and have no personal interaction with anyone. I look forward to presenting the evidence I have and rebutting any arguments they have to the contrary.

The response from the VA congressional analyst I received after submitting the EED NOD today.

Please know that you are able to bring documents with you to the hearing and they will be sent to the Decision Review Officer( DRO) that day for review before a decision is rendered.

If these are new items listed they most likely will not be addressed on the hearing date. Due to development of evidence needs to take place before the notice of disagreement gets assigned to a Decision Review Officer .

What a crock of shit that was. My VFW VSO was a complete jerk to me and really chummy with the DRO via videoconference. That was the most anti-"pro-veteran" meeting I could've thought possible.

Basically, let's ignore all the evidence that is commensurate with the list of ratings and recommend you get another C&P exam. Also, the DRO and the VSO both recommended I apply for IU even though I didn't request it and told them I didn't know what it was. Neither one explained it in it's entirety or the fact that you can't work moving forward.

Edit: She also said that my tinnitus claim would have to have had a diagnosis in service to be valid and that my knee claim that was diagnosed in service didn't count because they didn't diagnose me at the C&P. WTF? 2 completely opposite approaches to the same problem.

Edited by K9MAL

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm so sorry your DRO hearing did not go well...I didn't realize it was a videoconference hearing??.....was it just you and your VFW VSO?

& the DRO was on a montier?

I thought you were having a in person DRO informal Hearing?...anyway did you speak up when you didn't understand what they were saying? you can always say you don't truly understand and just say you disagree and why I can't you present your evidence?

the DRO should have already had your evidence prior to the hearing,....Fire that VSO and request an in person DRO Informal hearing or file for Reconsideration...you should have got some papers letting you know what to do if you disagree with the decision?

sounds like they throwed you under the rug don't let them get to you & don't give up keep fighting

Hang in there Buddy