Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Radiculopathy Rated By The Va

Rate this question

lcplcookba1

Question

I just completed my C&p EXAM on Jan12 however I am scheduled for a neurology exam Feb13 how is radiculopathy rated for ddd by the VA, where I was told to get an EMG for the radiating pain in my legs and feet. Will the VA rate this pain before the get the EMG results or will I have to appeal? or something different, you guys have been great at answering my questions so far. And I am grateful to all!

Edited by lcplcookba1

they dont look for the things that would garner a higher rating, because they are looking for things to try and reduce your ratings.

It is no secret that the va will fight tooth and nails to try and keep vets from getting 60 or 70 percent. They know that the vet is either struggling to stay employed because of thier problems, are are already there. Its all a numbers game and they dont seem to care whether you have a pimple on your ass or shrapnel in your head.. ITS ALL DENY , DENY, DENY.

they dont look for the things that would garner a higher rating, because they are looking for things to try and reduce your ratings.

It is no secret that the va will fight tooth and nails to try and keep vets from getting 60 or 70 percent. They know that the vet is either struggling to stay employed because of thier problems, are are already there. Its all a numbers game and they dont seem to care whether you have a pimple on your ass or shrapnel in your head.. ITS ALL DENY , DENY, DENY.

+1

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you are given an EMG, expect that it will probably hurt.

The procedure can involve electrodes placed on the skin, but they can also insert needles near the nerve to get more precise readings. It is not fun.

If they try to give you an EMG for spine or sciatica -only- while you are laying down, they are clearly doing it wrong. In that position, less weight is impinging on the nerves and less noise will register. Ask them to also do it sitting and standing.

EMGs are not perfect. If they measure only a certain distance and say you are OK, you might have interference further up the nerve pathway. Think of a nerve being like a garden hose. If you crimp it off further up, it impacts everything below it.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I was rated at 10% for both my left and right lumbar radiculopathy so I'll share the exact wording in my letter and the evidence I provided. The rating for my right is pretty spot on but I'm disputing the rating for my LLR.

In my BBE letter the rater stated: "We have assigned a 10 percent evaluation for your lumbar radiculopathy, left lower extremity based on: mild incomplete paralysis. A higher evaluation of 20 percent is not warranted unless the evidence shows nerve damage is moderate. Although the examiner reported moderate symptoms, your wholly sensory symptoms are more suggestive of a mild severity level for VA rating purposes."

The examiner wrote in my C&P exam: "Reflex exam indicated left ankle was 1+; sensory exam noted decrease in sensation in the lower leg / ankle (L4/L5/S1) on the left, and a decrease of sensation in the foot/toes (L5) bilaterally. The VA C&P examiner indicated symptoms of radiculopathy also included constant pain that was severe on the left lower extremity, moderate intermittent pain on the lower left extremity and mild on the right. Paresthesias and or/dysesthesias was mild on the right lower extremity and moderate on the left lower extremity. Numbness was mild on the right lower extremity and moderate on the left lower extremity."

I find it puzzling that whoever rated my package went against the VA's own examiner medical exam; he/she did this on multiple items in my claim. The records I provided included a nerve study which was abnormal and consistent with my radiculopathy symptoms. I also provided my STRs (entire VA package was over 1,000 pages) so my LLR is well documented. In the last three years alone, my records reflected 26 visits (sick call's, doctor visits, lots of missed work, ER visits, injections, etc) relating directly to my lower back pain and my radiculopathy. They weren't just "I'm in pain" visits but some were detailed such as decreased sensation during exams, etc. I have a severe flare up at least once a month whereas I'm unable to straighten my leg.

Anyway, just wanted to provide more detailed insight on my case for radiculopathy. Hope it helps. Good luck to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Girl, you got low balled. They didn't consider the bilattarel factor and your majior extremity should be higher rated,

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Girl, you got low balled. They didn't consider the bilattarel factor and your majior extremity should be higher rated,

J

I know :( I'm in the process of figuring out where to send my NOD. The rater seemed to do this on quite a few items. On one of my contentions, there wasn't even a complete sentence to explain the denial. Like many here, my case was hastily decided due to the raters being overworked, understaffed, and pressured to turn out cases quickly. Just wish there was an easier avenue for reconsideration.