VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Ptsd

Rate this question

VietnamVetsWife

Question

Hello everyone, I'm new here and first would like to thank everyone for their bravery and service. My husband served 3 terms in Vietnam, approx 2 years ago he was rated 50% for PTSD only after the VA doctor who treats him for IHD (he's had 3 heart attacks and was rated 30%) told him to reapply for IU. The VA psychyatrist agreed and also told him to apply for IU, he did and had his C&P almost 4 months ago. The PTSD C&P reports reads dx code309.81 meets full DSV-M criteria, symptoms chronic and severe, 296.23 major depressive disorder, total occupational and social impairment, the VA dr who treats him was quoted from his notes saying PTSD symptoms very severe and interfere with daily function. The C&P examiner checked all the boxes under the section PTDS diagnostic criteria then wrote in the note section suffers considerably from long untreatedPTSD and depression related to trauma in Vietnam, his symptoms are found to be profound for social, emotional and occupationtionality.

He had this C&P months ago, the claim sat in review of evidence then said evidence requested from VA medical facility overdue, I uploaded and faxed them the C&P ( I don't understand how the VA can't get records that show in the blue button section) now the claim is sitting in pending decision showing under notes evidence no longer required, my question is could anyone please offer me a opinion on what his % may be. I appreciate and thank everyone for their time and opinion.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Based on what your C&P results are, your PTSD is well within the 100% range. Unless there is something on the notes that indicate something totally different then I think that is what you will get. With the V.A. though anything is possible and if you get less than 100% I would do a NOD on the PTSD.

My other comment is though, when this current claim is completed, which sounds like it will be soon. Even if your husband receives a 100% rating, apply for an increase in his IHD rating. 30% IHD when your husband has had 3 heart attacks is too low. He should be at a minimum 60% IHD. Has your husband had stents? If your husband gets 100% based on PTSD and the IHD is increased to 60% then that will give you more money and a whole different level of benefits. Your husbands 30% IHD is toooooo low.

Others on this site, can give you a better idea what the difference in benefits at 160% level, but there is a big difference in money and SMC's that you would qualify for.

All the best to you and your husband. I thank you for his and your service!!

Greg

Agree with the advice give above, just hard to tell without the official exam report on here for us to look at it properly. Sorry for your husband's hard time, and God Bless

Hi Greg, yes he has stents, he has 7 at this point, he takes 8 different medications daily. They rated his heart at 30% because the last stress test showed his mets at 7, he was determined to finish the test even though he was having chest pains, shortness of breathe and weakness. The test was done by his private cardio doc. I questioned why they let him push himself to the point that he had chest pains and they said he knows his limit, thing is, he doesn't....he is in denial about his health. He has been on social security disability for the past 7 years because of his heart, he refused for years about seeing someone for PTSD saying he didn't need it even though he has night terrors, anxiety, panic attacks, memory loss and denial ( which the VA psych dr says is part of PTSD) and anger outburst with bouts of crying ( all were noted in the DBQ by the VA evaluator) Even in the DBQ from the PTSD eval the man at the VA even noted that I see to it he is clean, dressed properly and takes his medications. I'm just hoping they decide whatever they decide soon since it's causing him more anxiety which cause more panic attacks and sleeplessness.

Thank you all so much for your help, it's so frustrating watching my husband having panic attacks and anxiety worrying they are going to have him go for another C&P ( he always sees the worst in any situation) he worries they will turn him down and take away the 70% he alreadly has (50% PTSD, 30% heart) the va found a suspicious lump on his kidney, they said leave it alone and see what happens ( I flipped out on that advise!) high b/p and recovered from melanoma, I don't want to see him stressed anymore than what he alreadly is at this point. Again, bless you all for taking time out of your day to give me advise, I appreciate it very much.