Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dear Secretary Robert Mcdonald

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Dear Mr. Mc Donald

I want to thank you for your service to Veterans. Many Veterans have indicated you are making a difference.

I have a simple suggestion on how to expand your "Ask Bob" emails. I love your ask Bob emails and many Vets like them also.

I do think he should be implementing this "email Bob" more nationally. In other words, we should email our VARO director, and that VARO director should solve the problem and divide his work load by 57 regional offices.

Maybe the complaints are "tracked", and there needs to be follow up...something like this:

(My suggestion for an email follows):

Dear Mary Smith (VARO director, St. Pete RO, a hypothetical name)

Im forwarding this email I got from a Veteran in St. Augustine Florida. Please check this out and report back to me in 30 days or less what the result was. Thank you

Robert McDonald

Then, these complaints should be tracked..and Mr. McDonald should respond, if nothing happens like this:

Dear Mary Smith, VARO Director:

A month ago, I forwarded you an email from Joe Veteran, in St. Augustive, and asked you to get back to me when you had checked it out. Since I have not heard anything, please call my office right away, and explain why you have not taken any action. If you were(are) gone on leave, please have your Assistant Director Call me and explain what happened.

Robert McDonald.

End suggested emails.

Notice that "follow up" is not recommended, its mandantory. This will keep the pressure on to do their job right.

Edited by broncovet

I will add that Admiral Zumwalt used to send us "Z-grams" and yours could be called "A-mails" (for your middle initial, or "R-mails"). Employees should know that its never a good idea for your career to ignore "A-mails".

Rest assured, whenever we got a "Z-gram", we all discussed how to immediatly implement the Admiral's request in the most effective manner.

Edited by broncovet

Also I believe yearly comprehensive surveys of the RO s should be sent out, asking the veterans for a fair and honest assesment of the way thier RO handles thier claim as well as thier treating VAMC. This unfiltered, unfettered, unmolested, accurate information gets reported directly to the the Honorable so far Mc Donald. THe proof is in the pudding. If the RO director isnt holding the line, its time for them to hit the road, and go work at Subway or Arbys or something.. IF THEY CANT HACK IT, THEY MUST PACK IT.!!!

63sierra, always to the point. I kind of agree there has to be some accountability and changes in order for the VA's track record to change for the better. I believe the Honorable Secratary is doing the best he can, unfortunately the changes do not happen overnight. Cant change years of common practices overnight. I believe just as in a business if the employees and overseers forget what their purpose is, the customer, namely Veterans and their dependants, then the mission will become lost. JMO

I hope someone here can help me with dealing my own health crisis right now. I have just been diagnosed and confirmed with cancer in my GI. I have also been diagnosed with Anemic. My current symptoms are loose of appetite, constant nausea, very low energy. My primary care doctor can only offer me addictive pain killer for my extreme lower back pain, and anti-depressant drug for helping with my appetite and nausea. Both of these toxic drugs don't work and it will do me more harm taking them. I am now having to resort medical marijuana to help me with these terrible symptoms, and medical marijuana is working very well with improving my appetite, manage the nausea and back pain. The problem is I can't get it through the Florida VA system. I do know there are other states, such as New Mexico and Arisona whom the VA system in both these states do provide medicinal marijuana for veterans whom are suffering. With regards to medical marijuana, there should be one uniformed policy that covers all states throughout our union. Veterans must have access to medical marijuana regardless of what states they live in. This is not about recreational use but 'life and death' situations for veterans suffering from PTSD, SC disabilities, as well as other illnesses. Additionally, veterans should be able to allow to go outside the VA health care system to seek 'alternative' medical care for their illnesses, such as IV vitamin/supplement therapy to help boost their immune system when fighting the cancer, which the VA does not provide. The only thing my primary care doctor is offering me with my cancer is chemotherapy. I know chemotherapy will only makes matter worse. There are alternaive medical care in dealing with cancer and the VA must allow veterans to go outside the system to seek alternative cures for their illnesses. If not, what good is it to constantly say we care about the veterans? I hope someone here who can get me any direct correspondence contact so I can relate this message to Mr. McDonald.

• Founder

I hope someone here can help me with dealing my own health crisis right now. I have just been diagnosed and confirmed with cancer in my GI. I have also been diagnosed with Anemic. My current symptoms are loose of appetite, constant nausea, very low energy. My primary care doctor can only offer me addictive pain killer for my extreme lower back pain, and anti-depressant drug for helping with my appetite and nausea. Both of these toxic drugs don't work and it will do me more harm taking them. I am now having to resort medical marijuana to help me with these terrible symptoms, and medical marijuana is working very well with improving my appetite, manage the nausea and back pain. The problem is I can't get it through the Florida VA system. I do know there are other states, such as New Mexico and Arisona whom the VA system in both these states do provide medicinal marijuana for veterans whom are suffering. With regards to medical marijuana, there should be one uniformed policy that covers all states throughout our union. Veterans must have access to medical marijuana regardless of what states they live in. This is not about recreational use but 'life and death' situations for veterans suffering from PTSD, SC disabilities, as well as other illnesses. Additionally, veterans should be able to allow to go outside the VA health care system to seek 'alternative' medical care for their illnesses, such as IV vitamin/supplement therapy to help boost their immune system when fighting the cancer, which the VA does not provide. The only thing my primary care doctor is offering me with my cancer is chemotherapy. I know chemotherapy will only makes matter worse. There are alternaive medical care in dealing with cancer and the VA must allow veterans to go outside the system to seek alternative cures for their illnesses. If not, what good is it to constantly say we care about the veterans? I hope someone here who can get me any direct correspondence contact so I can relate this message to Mr. McDonald.

I could not find anything stating that any Veterans Affairs Hospital in any state is providing medical marijuana if you have a source please cite it for us so we can look it up. It would useful for many veterans. Remember the Veterans Affairs Hospital are Federal Government, not state government.