VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

4 Ways To Find Military Exposures A O/ G W S

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Years ago when I was doing my own research on my medical health, I contacted the Institute of Medicine (IOM) for as much information they could help me with and this is what they sent me. I was just cleaning my PC and thought that this may help other veterans. Of course there is a lot more on the site but I think this is a good start.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/vaccinations-medications.asp

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/sources/vaccinations.asp

Hope this helps

Edited by pacmanx1

Do you have service-connected PTSD? You may be able to claim your sleep apnea as secondary to your PTSD. There's a fairly large body of evidence that the sleep deprivation many PTSD sufferers experience can cause problems with sleep apnea. Not to mention anti-anxiety meds.

thanks for the info though. I haven't pursued that route yet. Not sure if I will. I am going after the credentials and contradicting C&P exam that was used to deny me. Along with the credentials of a OBGYN rendering an opinionated on gulf war claim. Edited by ArNG11

Well, I'm assuming you're service connected for your back injury? And you say you're in constant pain. It must make sleep difficult. I posted a list of good references in Maybe you could make the argument that sleep deprivation is causing the apnea, and so your OSA is secondary to your back pain?

Well, I'm assuming you're service connected for your back injury? And you say you're in constant pain. It must make sleep difficult. I posted a list of good references in Maybe you could make the argument that sleep deprivation is causing the apnea, and so your OSA is secondary to your back pain?

I appreciate the suggestions. But I had signs of sleep apnea and fatigue since Iraq 2008 and starting getting symptoms of many conditions. But since I was a activated National Guard Member once you orders are done you become the unwanted stepchild sort of speak, even with the 5 years of Quality VA healthcare. Most times with any injury or illness I have to prove it every single time I walk into a VA clinicians office. Deniability. for $ sake.

I have plenty of treatment records and testing done, but as we all know, if its not documented in your service medical records then it didn't happen. Or if it is in your service medical record, then it was minor or acute. Same old game same BS defense. I have the continuity of treatment, documented markers of health problems and had a clean bill of health before Iraq. The VA knows this, but they acknowledge only what can be used against you. Hence that is why I am headed to the BVA and beyond on my claims and why I, myself and others have trouble getting care through the VA medical system. I don't think my fights will end there. As long as I have the will and strength I will choose to fight against this injustice. :wacko: I will fight till my last breath. Literally. You know it sounded catchy when I used it as a quote of sorts at first but I realize that is the unmistakable truth.

Looked up the sources you quoted. Informative and interesting. Good research. Thanks for the extra sources. I'm not a doc so I can't say either way what's causing it. or which medium caused more issues, beside Iraq and all the gulf war issues, I've been a Kc135 tank rat for most of my Air Force career. Perhaps it's all the combination of things along with the mental issues, however, what I can state for a fact is that many of these conditions I did not have before the desert box. Then towards the end of my tour I started having health issues that I did not suffer from before. You can judge. If you do know the answers then please let me and the thousands of other Veterans that suffer right along side me know. The VA health system hasn't given any definite answers.

Edited by ArNG11

No problem. I honestly don't think it will be difficult to get OSA connected as a secondary condition.

As far as your health issues, I would need more specifics, but I can most likely help find supporting research connecting them to your time in service.

I've done a TON of research involving kerosene based jet fuels, and likely have research linking it to your conditions in one way or another.

I have taken multiple baths in JP-8 but it is the 7808 hydro fluid that I breathed in that I believe is causing me the most problems, especially neurologically. I was an AGE mechanic for 8 years before becoming a Flight Engineer and we used to joke about our lunch not tasting right if it didn't have hydro, JP-8 or 83282 (synthetic oil now 87257, I believe) on it. I always tried to wear all the required safety gear, but sometimes it is not practical or enough to avoid exposure. I got bathed in JP-8 in Iraq 3 times in a row on the same day at Al Asad trying to refuel from a series of broken Marine fuel trucks. The last time, I was actually able to get fuel in the aircraft, but the "line drain" for the truck malfunctioned. When I removed the QD from the SPR, it was "limp" but still had some fuel pressure, so it splattered off of the SPR and drenched me head-to-toe. I swapped into a spare uniform from my bag, wiped off as much as I could with paper towels and headed back to Balad before our flying day expired.

I do have to wear a heavy beard now to cover up the seborrheic dermatitis I get on my face. I also get it on my scalp chest, armpits and groin and use shampoo/topicals to try and keep it under control. I also get weird "heat rashes" on my upper arms when the conditions are right (Hot like the desert) and I do know other flyers that get the same thing in the same place (outer, upper arm). I never was able to get the docs to do more than give it a cursory look, but I never had that before I went over there and the same goes for the others I know with this. The dermatitis started in my arm pits, so I thought it was a reaction to the type of deodorant I used. It was several years later before it started to show up on my face and I thought it was razor burn at first. Weather changes seem to impact the dermatitis as well. At least I never got hydrazine exposure to my knowledge.

I did get a lot of vaccinations as well, since I was "well traveled" on AD and I was a special operator for around 7 years. As a matter of fact, we had to keep ALL vaccinations up-to-date for all areas, to include ones like "Japanese Encephalitis" that only special operations and possibly some other aviators were required to maintain. My 5th or 6th Anthrax shot has caused pain at the site it was injected for almost 10 years now. I can put light pressure on that spot and it will hurt for 10-15 minutes. My AD neurologist a few years back said that was most likely from the needle and not the actual vaccine, but who knows?

Edited by TALON II FE