Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Informal Claim

Rate this question

Fat

Question

Can anyone fully explain the Informal Claim process.

Can I file a Informal Claim before I have a diagnosis from a podiatrist

I want to file a Informal Claim for flat feet; however I want to see a podiatrist first.

The issue (flat feet) is listed in my entrance exam.

Good information georgiapapa.

This will probably be the next claim I file with the VA, so I wanna be sure.

I have the in service incident and the next step is seeing if the incident has progressed to a disability level.

I'm having all sorts of troubles in the arch and shin area (left leg). I think it might be a tendon issue.

Just wanna preserve the earliest effective date until the exam on 4/7/15.

The issue was listed on your entrance. Did you complain about it throughout or just what you mentioned. Remember, there has to be chronicity. Also, va may be sneaky or DOD for that matter and say existed prior to service. Check the entrance exam and see if it has EPTS after the issue. This will open a whole other can if worms. You can file an informal claim anytime after initial claim, but must submit the evidence within one year from informal date to receive the earlier effective date. All of course jmho. The sages will chime in

Fat,

Flat feet can also cause problems with the lower back, hips and legs. Something to keep in mind for future secondary conditions claims.

Good luck to you.

Georgiapapa

Buck- Good luck with the hand surgery. I hope everything works out with the procedure. Keep me posted.

Georgiapapa.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Georgiapapa

I appreciate it!

Buck!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I never complained about "flat feet"; however I did visit the clinic for two sprained ankles and a knee issue.

I'm service connected for my knee.

I was looking at past VA decisions for bilateral flat feet and discovered service connection or aggravation is hard too prove.

However I discovered in most cases the exit exam can be the nexus connecting the entrance exam diagnosis and current foot problems.

The exit exam must show the flat feet condition (initially mild) as moderate or severe (meaning condition slightly worsened during active duty).

I have my C- file, but nothing in the way of a exit exam.

I'm also considering possibly filing the flat feet condition secondary to the service connected knee issue.

I'll know more after I visit the podiatrist.

Fat,

You should read 38 CFR 3.306 (Aggravation of Pre-Service Disability).

Georgiapapa