VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

One Cancer On Appeal For Ao Now Another New Pops Up

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

I have a one year old appeal going for a head & neck cancer agent orange connected.

Now, it appears that I have a new primary lung cancer that could be agent orange presumptive.

The Question: Will the ongoing appeal cancel the new claim or screw it up somehow??????

Thanks in advance.....

I flew to St Pete (500) miles to meet with the DRO and he had already made up his mind to continue with the severance. I presented new evidence and the meeting was recorded. They just went on with the severance and I of course NOD'ed and thus was introduced to the hamster wheel. It would be nice to get a SOC and form 9 one day.

What I have been pondering lately is if I requested a copy of the recording with the DRO say, via IRIS.??????

ORDER

Service connection for squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and supraglottic larynx due to exposure to Agent Orange is granted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=base+of+tongue+cancer+BVA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Citation Nr: 9830193 Decision Date: 10/08/98 Archive Date: 10/21/98

DOCKET NO. 94-28 421

(sorry I cant find the actual link, not sure if above is it.....)too many interruptions here with men working on my house.

Nothing is impossible Slowlane...our enemy isn't the VA, it is TIME.

The problem with the STS listed cancers is that VA does not recognize carcinomas in that list.

Of course not. Carcinomas are not sarcomas.

Just to clarify, there are three main types of cancer based on the type of cell they originate in:

Carcinomas are cancers that originate in epithelial cells, and are the most common types of cancers (80-90%)

Lymphomas are cancers that originate in the blood and lymphatic system (7%), and

Sarcomas begin in connective tissue (1%).

The VA admits SOME carcinomas are related to the TCDD in AO. (i.e. Lung Cancer, Cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus.)

Now, the VA is basing this on epidemiological evidence, NOT pathogenesis, not the underlying mechanism of the cancer. So the more common cancers, (i.e. lung cancers, prostate cancer) which show up more often on epidemiological studies, get more attention.

What I'm saying is that any carcinoma-ANY cancerous epithelial cells at any site in the body- SHOULD be covered under VA law.

It's just a scientifically incorrect decision on the part of the VA, based on faulty logic. It's like observing that most burns on the human body happen on the feet and hands, therefore the buttocks are fireproof!

VA logic!

Edited by camidonHP

I have a list of over 20 "Base-of-tongue" cancers GRANTED on appeal at BVA level. Many more were DENIED.

It makes about as much sense as having a Wounded Warrior Project. If the VA were doing thier job why would there be a WWP?

Just to be fair and show that I am not just picking on the WWP, why are organizations like VFW and American Legion NOT raising holey hell about the appeals backlog????????

Maybe because the backlog will continue to guarantee them job security.

I bet plenty of the vet reps are responsible, in part, for the backlog, by failing to adequately represent their claimants. They get paid regardless of any claim's outcome.

I get very angry when I see BVA remands, where there was a POA on the case, that could have been avoided if the rep had done a little more to help the veteran, and that help could have turned the tide.

In 2003 I had a rep outfit and they didn't know what Blue Water Navy meant..

I gave them a pass on that one but then they had never suggested (or apparently ever asked their claimants to consider) to get an IMO.

One rep actually called me in to help him with a Personality Disorder claim.

The rep insisted that Personality Disorder was a ratable SC condition.???

Then he asked me to see if I thought the vet had PTSD. I interviewed this vet for a long 2 hours.

He had a potential nexus ,in his SMRs, possibly for some heart disease, but I dont know if he pursued that, and as to the PTSD?

not a chance. Still I suggested he claim it, if he could prove a stressor, ...I am not a shrink...but his description of the military was ,although he got picked on a little, he had no stressors whatsoever and basically thought the military was swell.

At some point the VA awarded him a wartime pension but the vet rep called me up again because he didn't know what to do.....

He got the award letter prior to the vet getting it and he called and told the vet that VA had awarded him 100% as direct SC.

The vet was so happy he was going to take the rep to dinner that night.I wonder what happened when he found it was only a pension and they would deduct some wages he earned.

I guess that dinner involved the rep ordering some crow..

Edited by Berta