VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

One Cancer On Appeal For Ao Now Another New Pops Up

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

I have a one year old appeal going for a head & neck cancer agent orange connected.

Now, it appears that I have a new primary lung cancer that could be agent orange presumptive.

The Question: Will the ongoing appeal cancel the new claim or screw it up somehow??????

Thanks in advance.....

Thanks for the great advise Asknod. I will try to do as you suggest.

I was going to write Jeff Miller for assistance in getting a form 9 and SOC out of St Pete. I actually live in his district. I got discouraged when I went to his website and read what he had to say about appeals.

This is a cut-paste post from his website concerning appeals:

"How can I get my VA claim processed faster?

The Department of Veterans Affairs currently has many claims pending for various types of benefits. Because of that, many veterans feel that their case might be overlooked or handled improperly.

I am always glad to help in these situations. At my request, the VA will "flag" a particular case and keep me updated throughout the process. However, it is important to know that I cannot act as the "representative" on a person's VA claim. You may still want an attorney or veterans representative to help you with this. My actions will not affect the work done by the person you select as your representative."

Pretty bad when the Chairman has no power.

Slowlane

If cancer in a non-presumptive site is thought by the VA to spread to a presumptive site, I've seen them reject it. It's ridiculous. I'm assuming that the original site (base of tongue) was squamous cell carcinoma?

This is how I would argue it from a science standpoint:

1. TCDD isn’t actually damaging that original cell-it was likely a carcinogen in cigarette smoke- but TCDD prevents apoptosis (“cell-suicide”) from happening. The research shows that this happens even when researchers give mice a chemical that is specifically designed to trigger “cell-suicide.” The research is pretty clear on this. It even happens in that study when they introduce a chemical that specifically causes "cell-suicide."

2. Another “hallmark of cancer” is when damaged cells keep replicating themselves. The signal to replicate comes from other cells. TCDD is believed to be disruptive to genes that regulate the switch that tells the cell to make copies of itself, known as the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR.) Research shows us that in colon cancer cells, TCDD flips this switch, and causes cancer cells to start reproducing like crazy. This is obviously NOT a good thing.

Now, the research above use lung epithelial cells and colon epithelial cells. But, really, what the VA is not getting is that the SITE DOES NOT MATTER. Any carcinoma involves epithelial cells, no matter where it is, and the vast majority of cancers are carcinomas.

The problem with the STS listed cancers is that VA does not recognize carcinomas in that list.

Slowlane, do you get cancer treatment from a real doctor?( non VA oncologist)

Reason I ask, is that I wonder if VA can really diagnose these types of cancers at all.

They almost killed a vet friend of mine, right after they killed my husband.

They thought his cancer (from AO (NHL) was hemorrhoids.

He didnt want to file FTCA but I prepared his 1151 claim, just referring them to his VA medical records, as proof of the malpractice.

It was one of the fastest 1151 awards I had ever seen.100% P & T under 1151.

Prior to that he had 40% for 2 GSWs and then also since got 50% for PTSD.

This is sad...this is a dear friend of mine (Vietnam , Army, Blackhorse I think), Hoi An and Chu Chi.)

Even though my husband (when he was alive, and I ,talked to him about filing for PTSD he would not do it.)

The GSWs alone would get him the award.

Finally many years later, he filed for PTSD and got 50% SC for that.

I sure wish he had filed years sooner.

I get and got treatment for my cancers from civilian doctors on my Blue Cross insurance. My original diagnosis was Larynx PRIMARY. The largest tumor was at the base of the tongue so the Doctors constantly referred to it as "Base-of-tongue" cancer. VA found that by severing service connection and re-naming it "Base-of-tongue" would put me on the permanent hamster wheel.....where I will stay until I die. Slowlane

Did you have an IMO or medical documentation to confirm the Larynx cancer was primary?

Did VA have that info?

"base of tongue" really isn't a strong medical term at all.

Yet I would think that would fall under the area of the larynx.

Slowlane ,have you ever scanned and attached the C & P here" or their SOC?

Sometimes I think they just want us all to croak...

There are enough claims in the backlog , just collecting dust , to insure their job security probably for decades.