Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating?

Rate this topic

ytowngirl126

Each person situation is different. IU is an interesting and sometimes complicated benefit. I know that from the regs if you have a static disability at 60% or multiple that add up to 70% you are eligible to file for IU. It's a hard decision. For me, I am the point that I can't let my pride get in the way. I know that I can't perform my duties in my career between VA and Federal Workers' comp injuries, it is just not possible. So you make the best of it. If you're eligible file for it. In the long run you must do what you need to do to survive and provide for yourself and family if you have any.

Even though I am familiar with the rating schedules that pertain to me I still don't understand how some don 't rate higher and others rate anything at all. It's irrelevant though, I know that I am broken and while the money offers some security it doesn't change or fix anything. You have to make the best of what you have, and press on. It is the only thing you have control over. JMHO.

Ytown: The only bad thing about a 90% rating is the degree of difficulty in order to get to the GOLD 100%. You need another NEW SC issue that is ratable at 50% min to hit 95% rounding to 100. However, at the Scheduler 100% SC you can still work and earn as much as possible.

I take it you haven't received your Retro Deposit as yet. Consider adding Deposit/Withdrawal Txt and Email alerts to your direct deposit account. Besides your Retro $$, good way to stay aware of all action on your account. It's been mine and other Vet's experience that the Retro Deposit usually precedes the Big Brown Award envelope by up to a week. Many a Vet has had large 5+ figure deposits setting in their accounts and not aware of it. Last time a large Retro hit my account, I knew about it at 7:30am the following day that the deposit it in the late PM, didn't receive the Award Letter for about a week.

I used the VA Vocational Rehab Program and in my opinion it's one of the best programs the VA offers. Too Bad you have to be SC'd to take advantage of it. The vast majority of young Vet's could benefit from the testing and Professional Employment Counseling and training. you would do well to avail yourself of Voc Rehab services. You have 12 years from the date of your last New SC Award (not increase).

To the IU issue, the DRO told me "you'd be surprised the number of unemployed or underemployed Vets that apply for IU, IU isn't unemployment or underemployment compensation." In my lay opinion, your young and with either your current level or future level of education, you should have no trouble with Gainful Employment Income. You hav e (2) SC issues Migrains & Adjustment disorder that I think could cause current or future problems with even Sedentary work. If they do pose a serious obstacle to employment, keep the IU claim Locked & cocked ready to file. Stay Well and have a Good Life. Maintain a positive mental attitude toward the VA but don't take any crap. If they say they can't do something, ask to see and be given a copy of the regulation. That's worked for me on the rare occasion that a VA clinician has balked at a request for a specific service.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Ytown: The only bad thing about a 90% rating is the degree of difficulty in order to get to the GOLD 100%. You need another NEW SC issue that is ratable at 50% min to hit 95% rounding to 100. However, at the Scheduler 100% SC you can still work and earn as much as possible.

I take it you haven't received your Retro Deposit as yet. Consider adding Deposit/Withdrawal Txt and Email alerts to your direct deposit account. Besides your Retro $$, good way to stay aware of all action on your account. It's been mine and other Vet's experience that the Retro Deposit usually precedes the Big Brown Award envelope by up to a week. Many a Vet has had large 5+ figure deposits setting in their accounts and not aware of it. Last time a large Retro hit my account, I knew about it at 7:30am the following day that the deposit it in the late PM, didn't receive the Award Letter for about a week.

I used the VA Vocational Rehab Program and in my opinion it's one of the best programs the VA offers. Too Bad you have to be SC'd to take advantage of it. The vast majority of young Vet's could benefit from the testing and Professional Employment Counseling and training. you would do well to avail yourself of Voc Rehab services. You have 12 years from the date of your last New SC Award (not increase).

To the IU issue, the DRO told me "you'd be surprised the number of unemployed or underemployed Vets that apply for IU, IU isn't unemployment or underemployment compensation." In my lay opinion, your young and with either your current level or future level of education, you should have no trouble with Gainful Employment Income. You hav e (2) SC issues Migrains & Adjustment disorder that I think could cause current or future problems with even Sedentary work. If they do pose a serious obstacle to employment, keep the IU claim Locked & cocked ready to file. Stay Well and have a Good Life. Maintain a positive mental attitude toward the VA but don't take any crap. If they say they can't do something, ask to see and be given a copy of the regulation. That's worked for me on the rare occasion that a VA clinician has balked at a request for a specific service.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Thanks Gastone. It's funny because I was told to apply for the Voc Rehab program 2 weeks ago but received the letter yesterday that I was denied. It's also funny because the VA website encourages people to apply for Voc Rehab while you have current claim in for VA Disability. Once I get my rating I'll appeal that.

I do have my bank account set up for text and email alerts when I do get deposits. So I will be watching for that.

Thank you and everyone for all the help you have provided. It's so great to have so much information and encouragement from people who understand.

Fabulous News.

I never believe anything until I see it on a VA letterhead.

The 800# (Peggy) is unreliable and ebenefits is too.

Congratulations and continued good luck and good health to you.

GP

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use