Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy - Private Neurologist C&p

Rate this question

green

Question

I paid to have a private neurologist complete the C&P paperwork for peripheral neuropathy. The paperwork was not filled out in it's entirety. It does not note "mild" or "moderate" but does note small fiber peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet, no motor reflex in knees and ankle, diminished reflex in elbow, decreased sensitivity to cold, notes numbness in feet to the knee and my hands to the elbow, also notes numbness in outside thigh from hip to knee. I'm using this along with years of statements in my VA medical files referencing peripheral neuropathy. An EMG was not conducted.

Any idea where the VA will go from here and the rating this information might indicate?

Thank you!

Green

Green

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Grrrrrrrr. They love to use mild, moderate, or severe when they rate nerves. Isn't that right on the DBQ? The doc didn't use that?

What did the VA examiner state when they examined you for your nerves?

Did they give a full medical rationale as to why it is a secondary disability, caused due to an established SC you have now??

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

There is a section for pain and numbness and although the dr. marked that I have it, he didn't rate it none - severe. All my reflexes were either rated as decreased or absent, monofilament all listed as decreased or absent, position sense as decreased in lower extremities, vibration sensation as decreased, cold sensation decreased in lower extremity. The severity section she did not fill out at all. I'm guessing that is because the section is tied to certain nerves and the realitiy is that peripheral neuropathy is tied to small fibers not necessarily to the radial, median, ulnar, sciatic or femoral.

Under 6B the DR stated "small fiber diabetic neuropathy in hands bilaterally as well as lower extremity bilaterally to above the knee"

Green

Berta, in the doctor's notes he states that I'm a diabetic and have had it over 30 years, it reads as they are citing that as the cause.

and I'm service connected for diabetes

Green

Green: What was DX'd first? Have you been DX'd with PN by the VA? Back in 2010 I had to have an EMG and a full Blood workup (rule out AIDS and other STDs that can cause PN) before I could get the PN DX from my VA PC Dr and get a referral to VA Neurologist. After all the testing finally got a DX of Idiopathathic Bilateral PN for my feet. Had to see (3) different VA Neurologists before got one to agree "More Likely than Not" a result of AO exposure in 69.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I was diagnosed with diabetes 32 years ago. There are all sorts of references in my VA med records that I have PN going back to 2000. I'm wondering if I should go see another neurologist and make sure they fill out the form in its entirety prior to filing for the secondary.

Green