Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Saw A New Psychiatrist Today

Rate this topic

• Founder

jeffperry1134 - glad to hear it communicate with your doctor about whats working and whats not and hopefully you will continue to get some relief.

I will definitely do that Tbird. It has only been 2 days of taking my medicine the new way and I am noticing a difference. I actually was asleep before 2am and up at 9am and only woke up once in the night. It was the most I had slept in years.

I had a psycholigist at my outpatient clinc I saw for several months and then she transferred over to DOD in another state. She was an excellent psychologist and my sessions with her helped me a great deal. When my psychologist left, the VA did not fill her position at the outpatient clinic and the VA informed me if I still wanted to be seen by a psychologist, I would have to see one at my VAMC which is over 60 miles from my home. I am thinking about trying to get my VA PCP (NP) to schedule me with a private psychologist through the VA Choice Card program. I have never been seen by a psychiatrist, only a psychologist and a psychiatric NP who prescribed my medication.

GP

My first year in the VA they had me on 8 meds I am down to two now I always felt unreliable, I really shy away from the VA mental health care as it is always a fight to not be on very many meds. Glad to hear you are on a regiment that you like and have faith in its important. My mental health doc retired and winged me of all meds but I have been declining as of late and will be seeing a doc at the VA hear soon and I have no doubt that I will be fighting to not be on a ton of meds.

Hopefully you will get a good doc. Mine said he specialized in psychopharmacology and knew the different medication combinations well.

The new medication regimen is starting to pay dividends. I slept 6 hours last night and am actually getting tired right now.