VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Continuing Ptsd Treatment To Keep Rating

Rate this question

usmc1962

Question

Just wondering if I am confused about this issue...I don't uunderstand why you must be in treatment for PTSD to continue your payments...I have been suffering since 1986 And only recently recieved a rating 50%. The thinking that if you are not getting treatment they assume you are getting better doesn't hold water..I didn't get treatment for 30 years and I didn't get better. I have been thru CBT at my VAMC and it made me worse. Think about it.....

Sad to say that I know what you mean bud. I was medically retired in Feb 13 and was awarded 30% for PTSD, Feb 14 PTSD increased to 70%. Even though I hate the VA and talking about the PTSD, I made my self go to weekly PTSD Trauma treatment at VA up until Jan 15 when Trauma Counselor retired. Well when I submitted my recent FDC in Nov 14, the VA decided to review multiple high %s to include a PTSD review, even though the 70% was just awarded a year ago, and not due for Review until Feb 2016. Basically the VA wants to control us, even though we will not be cured anytime soon if ever. I am hoping with this current claim which is in the Prep for Decision phase that I get P&T, and don't have to look over my shoulder any more. Good luck and God Bless!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

USMC1962 - never count on the VA to do anything automatically except, maybe, try to reduce your rating. As for continuing your treatment, to maintain your award, it is not required. At your (and my age) it doesn't matter, as we are somewhat protected. I go to group weekly, for myself, and will continue as long as I am physically able to attend. I also do it to help other veterans, to share what has worked, and not worked, for me!!! After all these yrs I rarely, if ever, go into a rage, anymore. jmo

pr

PR thanks for your info. I am still making my way thru this va journey, trying to understand...my story is long and complicated. I hope to put it out here one of these days and hope to get some advice.

It was horrible going through CPT but I learned a ton about my symptoms and understand how I click. Believe you me there are folks that know how to pull our strings. I don't have to react today and say I'm sorry tomorrow. I am glad I have stuck it out.