VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Continuing Ptsd Treatment To Keep Rating

usmc1962

Question

Just wondering if I am confused about this issue...I don't uunderstand why you must be in treatment for PTSD to continue your payments...I have been suffering since 1986 And only recently recieved a rating 50%. The thinking that if you are not getting treatment they assume you are getting better doesn't hold water..I didn't get treatment for 30 years and I didn't get better. I have been thru CBT at my VAMC and it made me worse. Think about it.....

8 answers to this question

Sad to say that I know what you mean bud. I was medically retired in Feb 13 and was awarded 30% for PTSD, Feb 14 PTSD increased to 70%. Even though I hate the VA and talking about the PTSD, I made my self go to weekly PTSD Trauma treatment at VA up until Jan 15 when Trauma Counselor retired. Well when I submitted my recent FDC in Nov 14, the VA decided to review multiple high %s to include a PTSD review, even though the 70% was just awarded a year ago, and not due for Review until Feb 2016. Basically the VA wants to control us, even though we will not be cured anytime soon if ever. I am hoping with this current claim which is in the Prep for Decision phase that I get P&T, and don't have to look over my shoulder any more. Good luck and God Bless!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

USMC1962 - never count on the VA to do anything automatically except, maybe, try to reduce your rating. As for continuing your treatment, to maintain your award, it is not required. At your (and my age) it doesn't matter, as we are somewhat protected. I go to group weekly, for myself, and will continue as long as I am physically able to attend. I also do it to help other veterans, to share what has worked, and not worked, for me!!! After all these yrs I rarely, if ever, go into a rage, anymore. jmo

pr

It was horrible going through CPT but I learned a ton about my symptoms and understand how I click. Believe you me there are folks that know how to pull our strings. I don't have to react today and say I'm sorry tomorrow. I am glad I have stuck it out.

• Like 1

CPT was horrible alright!!! But it did give you skills to help deal with issues. For me though I need to attend group/individual therapy. Cause they all understand and now I look forward to the meetings. But I haven't been able to work since 2013 so that is the bad part which makes it very tuff. I can't imagine if was able to work and still have to be seen weekly for treatment. I don't know of a job that would allow that at all. So I feel bad for people that do work and can't make it to every appt. or on veterans that ca not drive to be seen either. It is not just black and white a lot of issues are at hand with PTSD. Especially when your family doesn't seem to understand what you are going threw. But my experience is everyone at my meeting know how it feels and gives me extra tips, advise on how they deal with PTSD, etc

Hi there,

Whoever told you that you have to remain in treatment in order to maintain your rating was absolutely 100% mistaken. There is no such requirement. PTSD and other conditions that are not automatically considered premanent (like migraines) require follow up review examinations every 5 years regardless of whether you are in treatment. What happens to your rating depends largely on what information you disclose to the examiner during that follow up examination as well as any testing they perform. If the examiner has medical records to help them formulate their report, that is helpful, but it doesnt need to be 5 years worth and it isnt required.