Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are These Normal Vro & "vso" Issues And Behavior?

Rate this question

Singularity

Question

Hi to all. New member here. I filed a fully developed claim over 8 months ago and since then I haven't received even one call or communication that originated from my "VRO" or "VSO".

I looked up the number for my VSO and they gave me a number in my state. It rings the VRO, but when they answer the phone they say they are also the VSO. Is this normal? (VSO "officers" taking VSO calls at the VRO? It seems like a conflict of interest and it's confusing because I don't know if I am talking to someone objective or on my side vs. someone at the VA who might not be objective or even want to talk.) Any advice appreciated on this.

Also- When I called my "VRO", the claims person I spoke with wouldn't even give me an email address to send a document to that they said they have been seeking from other sources (the gov). The very document that was supposed to be "a reason" for my claim being delayed. So they said they need this document, have requested it from another source (the gov), but would take the copies I have of them, and then basically told me I couldn't have their email or anyone's email there because they are evidently treated like "state secrets".

What gives?

To sum it up- no one has ever called me (VRO or VSO). When I call them, both numbers ring the same place. When I call them, they tell me nothing. They won't even return a call (not ever- not even once). That doesn't fill me with warm feelings considering I have a document on my claim that I signed giving them the power to be my "VSO". As far as I can tell these are all VRO employees, but i don't know - how can they possibly represent me in any good way when I know for a fact the VRO put my claim on "silent hold" because the gov was missing a document that would not have any impact on my condition, anyway (and they would have never told me what the deal was, had I not called them).

Is this all 'normal' VSO & VRO behavior toward a claimant? I thought the VSO was on my side but it appears to me they have little interest.

Frustrated - thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Singularity

I am sure you are not calling your VA regional office because they do not accept incoming calls from veterans.

Did you file the Fully Developed Clam (FDC) yourself or did your VSO file it for you?

If you filed your FDC, did you send it certified mail return receipt requested?

If not, what method did you use to file your claim?

Do you have written proof your claim was received by your VA regional office?

Have you ever visited your VSO office in person?

If you filed the FDC yourself and then called the local number for the Veterans Service Organization you designated as your POA, I can understand why you haven't heard from your VSO if you did not file your claim through their office. Veterans usually go to a VSO office in person and file a claim or they file the claim themself without the assistance of a VSO. It is not unusual for VSO offices to be located in the building housing the VAa regional offices but the VSOs do not work for the VA.

The more info you provide, the easier it will be for Hadit members to help you.

GP

Singularity, JMO, but it appears you have excellent instincts. You should listen to them. Your BS bell has just been rung. It doesn't get better and more likely will deteriorate even further. Please consider another VSO or handle it yourself. Nobody's on your side but you (and the folks here); nobody will ever care about your claim as much as you do, never forget that. That's why so many of us here have shed VSO representation, because of experiences exactly as you describe.

Also, under the system in place now, evidence is sent to an intake center in either Wisconsin or Georgia, depending on the state where you live. You may want to send the document you reference to the intake center via certified mail, instead of trying to send it directly to the RO. The intake center will accept receipt of it despite your RO's best efforts NOT to, and you'll have confirmation that it got there. You can always do the same thing addressed to your RO, as well. Even if the green Certified mail card isn't returned to you, you can track it and confirm delivery receipt at the USPS' website and print it as evidence, should you ever need it. The important thing is to remove their excuse for delay, one way or the other. Again, JMO.

Hi all & thanks.

To clarify some details I left out (sorry), I did file my FDC at a VA office close to the 'regional' office. I filed with a VA employee who is supposed to also be a member of the VSO they highly recommended.

I've never visited my VSO in person, I am trying to get hold of them so I can go there but they have failed to return all calls to date. I should have been clearer on the VSO & VRO being in the same place, as I put it.........they do have different phone numbers but they also have the same physical address. Yes, I did find out Georgiapapa; that when I call the VRO # they never accept the incoming call, it always says they are "experiencing high call volume" and there is no way I can even leave a message. I wonder if I just went down there and showed up, would they let me in so I could ask questions and see my file?

To answer as to if I have proof of my claim being seen. Yes I do. A few days ago I was FINALLY scheduled for my c&p exam and I have gone on 'Ebenefits' just a couple days ago and can see a list of what appears to be all documents I submitted with my FDC. Of course I can't tell for sure because the documents are named whatever the VA chose to name each one and there is no way to download anything to view it on 'ebenefits' (and verify they are the documents I gave them).

I guess my next move is to continue to hound my VSO and hope I can schedule a time to go there in person to view my 'c-file' (to see if it's accurate)?? And if I can't get them to answer up, get rid of them as my VSO and go it alone as Lotzaspotz says (although I am afraid by giving them the "axe" as my VSO, it will make me into a marked person if they are also VRO employees).

Thanks to you BOTH for the answers, questions and info / impressions so far. I was mainly wondering do they treat everyone like this (ignore and BS them), or is it just me? And what the heck did I do to deserve it.

Welcome to our world !

"the claims person I spoke with wouldn't even give me an email address to send a document to that they said they have been seeking from other sources (the gov)"

. " I was mainly wondering do they treat everyone like this (ignore and BS them), or is it just me? " It is the way they treat MANY of us.

" And what the heck did I do to deserve it." You did niothing but gave service to the great US of A.

THANK YOU for your service.

These people at VA are there to serve YOU.....but if you spend more time here you will see how erratic and often lousy that service is

I agree with Lotzasopts, to send it to the Intake Center, Put a cover letter with it, using any initials that appeared in any alphanumeric code in the uipper right of the last letter uyou received from the (if you received anything, or tell them the name of the person you spoke to if you called the 800#.
( well probably no name there...we call the 800# Pegy. It is useless.

Have you received a 5103 letter yet?

If not, when you do, state on the letter a brief description of all of the documents you have sent to them, sin it and copy iot before you mail it back to the Intake Ceneter.

(with a proof of mailing)

If you tell me the name of your VARO I probably have some phone numbers and emails numbers for them.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Your VSO got 'paid' when you signed the Power of Attorney to them (POA).

If you didn't sign a POA, you don't have a VSO; you are only dealing with the VARO.

Plus - after signing a POA to a VSO, you may be treated like last week's 1-night stand.

You're doing well to call this out and research how to win your claim without their assistance.

Edited by Notorious Kelly