Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have My Original Str's

Rate this question

glider222

Question

Before I send my original STR's off to Numan, GA, I am looking for opinions of how any of you experienced Veterans would go about copying and weeding out junk? Also, should I include my civilian treatment records such as MRI's, EMG's and surgery reports?

When I out processed I kept my original 201 file and med/dental records because I did not trust anyone and I am a Rebel. No one from my command has asked for them andd I have been medically retired since 2001.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks georgiapapa and Phil,

Will they except copies? I posted last week that a VA rep who is looking into my 21-4140 (because I made 325.00 in 2014) called me to see if I might have copies of my STR's because he could not get them from anyone. He mentioned that the VA does not like to except records directly from the vet as they could be altered or weeded out.... Imagine someone doing something less than honorable coming from a claims examiner....

Yes, they accept copies but they don't like to because they consider us veterans to be liars and cheats. They feel we would alter the documents and while there are a few vets that would, most wouldn't. They'd get caught in the end. jmo

pr

Thats great you have your originals. Thats complete non sense that they don't take copies from the vets. They'd prefer it come from the RMC or NPRC but guess what in your case if you walked off with the originals the chances that either of those places with have copies is highly unlikely. As for myself I have original copies of my records as well, but when I separated I made copies and kept the originals and returned the photo copied versions to the clinics.

Other vet's please be aware that if you walked off with your originals and the RO sends you a letter for your records that means they only have either partial records or no records at all, so this could definitely affect the outcome of your claim because you could potentially not have a link to service with the records they have on hand.

I too had AT drill records they did not have and sent them in as new evidence, I am still awaiting the outcome.

Were you waiting on LOD's or something? Reserve/Guard is another story. They are notorious for not sending records and holding on to records even after the vet seps from the reserves. The best thing to do is to go and get Guard/Reserve records and send them in especially if you're still in.

Were you waiting on LOD's or something? Reserve/Guard is another story. They are notorious for not sending records and holding on to records even after the vet seps from the reserves. The best thing to do is to go and get Guard/Reserve records and send them in especially if you're still in.

I was denied service connection due they could not link my Active Training for the 2 weeks during my reserve training it was the reason and basis of my denial letter, they had asked for a LOD but none was done by the command for some reason my reserve AT was not in my service records since then my unit was decommiisined, this was back in 97, I was lucky enough to find a pay voucher and my orders in a box and sent that info in as new and material to reconsider(reopen) my claim,I had also got in touch with The NRPC in Millington and a very helpful person there was able to add the information I had to update my drill and AT points on my service record so now I have more proof of AT during there dates in question.