Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Completed--Backlog Now At Payment

Rate this question

oldnavypa

Question

Claim completed 31 March, no sign of movement on money. Called 800 (pronounced "aint-hurryn") number and told that claims processing as far decision has been increased but could be 2-3 months before any money moves. Anyone else having this issue?

Oh, no. If you are retired, then this is still another excuse for VA to take their sweet time. The VA will want to "audit" the CRDP and make sure you dont get too much. Expect this to take another 6 to 12 months, and you wont likely be disappointed.

VA motto: Why put off paying the Veteran until tommorrow, when you could put it off until next year?

Yes, I am retired Navy, 31+ years AD. I will be eligible for the CRDP. My audit was done in February according to notes in computer at SLC where BDD claims are done for Stations that fall under western sectors as MEPS divides the country. That is awful you are waiting that long. I guess they figure we dont need the money since we are getting "retirement" checks already. I know hundreds of veterans who retired from GM, UAW, US Steel etc.. that dont get "audited". They got thier backpay quickly. There seems to be an attitude at VA's about Military retirees getting benefits. One lady here in North Chicago told me "what are you worrying about, you already gettin a check"--yes it took years of therapy to not get her in a choke hold and throttle her accordingly. It seems as if as long as your retired from anywhere other than the Military than you are "more entitled" to get VA compensation. I was glad when the law changed for CRDP and CRSC. Other federal, state, and municipal employees have enjoyed full retirements as well as disability compensation for decades--the Military were the only ones being punished and refused both. I hope they do away with the 50% or better rule too. I feel all military retirees regardless of the percentage should get the additional compensation. Just my thoughts.

Yours ought to be faster than mine, only because DFAS has a direct way to transmit what's called the "Audit Error Worksheet" to the VA. Retired Coasties like me get ours done by USCG PPC, and we don't have a direct link. I have a feeling that my AEW is lost again, and it's not the first time. Something happens in the receipt process. The file was sent back in December and no one seems to be able to find it.

If you haven't seen anything and it's becoming a while, it doesn't hurt to check with your pay clerk at DFAS and see if and when they sent the file. PPC actually sends me a letter giving me hard copy proof. Armed with the knowledge that your AEW has been transmitted and given three weeks to see the file loaded and made active within your C-file, it's time to start getting after the RO and ask where, oh where, has my backpay gone? If they open a claim to process your backpay, at least you've made it that far.

I have routinely found that the respectful but squeeky wheel gets the greese in due time and uncovers problems along the way.

It's a long and painful process, and I am looking forward to not having to address claims and appeals.

Thanx Tiredcoastie. When I was a Chief in Mayport FL at ATG from 99-02, I used to inspect, train and combat certify all the bouy Tenders and the Mackinaw up in the Great Lakes. Coasties are friends of mine. God Bless

Yeah, Chief, I did REFTRA (or was it TSTA by then?) in those days at Mayport on a WMEC. The Navy has always been a good friend to my old service, and I've got Navy friends as well.

May God bless you, too!