VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Appeal Increase

Rate this topic

Things must be really changing at the VA. VA Raters calling to advise Vets of awards is something I've never heard of, but good for you. I find the rater saying he/she has to call your employer regarding IU somewhat troubling. If you're currently working in a non sheltered employment earning in excess of the "Gainful Employment Income" earned income level of $12,400 per year if under 65, your not IU eligible.

Again, some things may have changed, but I don't think the IU Award process has. Before your recent telephone award you were 30% SC so you weren't eligible to file a claim for IU. Along with your Award Letter there should be the term "Inferred IU Claim Pending." This is not an automatic claim, you must actually file the claim for IU. The claim will require you to disclose all your current/past work and Income information. Only after the VA rater verifies your income (less that $12,400 per yr) and your inability due to solely on your SC condition to obtain even sedentary "Gainful Income $238.46 per week" employment, can an IU award be made.

A fellow Nam Vet friend got denied IU in 2012 due to having a college education. Even though he hadn't worked in 5 yrs and met the income limits the rater opined that his education level indicated he should be able to find sedentary "Gainful Income" employment. He's 21/2 years waiting for a DRO Hearing.

Semper Fi

Gastone

My last day of work was on April 24. On April 25th I filed for SSDI and short term disability through my employer. I actually did file for TDIU before getting my 70% increase so I just happened to just have good timing. My current psychiatrist is going to help me with anything that i need regarding permanent disability for TDIU/SSDI purposes. As for the rater directly calling me, I assume my email to Allison hicks/Robert McDonald was the reason why? Not sure actually.

Edited by flipxpelon562

I have missed 300 hours a work per year for the last few years in a row. I currently exhausted all vacation and sick leave with my current state of short term disability while waiting for SSDI. My job is already a sedentary job which the psychiatrist agreed to my PTSD/bipolar disorder that it would be extremely difficult for me to hold a full time job and he was surprised I was able to.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use