Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Ptsd/mdd P&t!

Rate this topic

tcannonsr

I don't know where to begin. I'm overwhelmed with emotion, numb, shocked, happy, grateful to the VA and the many people/vets who have helped me along the way....I'm still taking it all in. My journey began when I returned from being an Army ground pounder in Vietnam in 1970 and realized that my world and my life was never going back to normal like I thought and hoped it would. I went through severe depression, drug addiction, hopelessness, booze every day, suicide attempts, not being able to hold a job, anger, fights, nightmares, anxiety/panic attacks. Twice I asked the VA for help. Once shortly after I returned home and, again, in 1974 when I was a complete drug addict after my second suicide attempt. Both times the VA rejected me and told me to "suck it up" and move on. I turned away from the VA for 40 years. I don't know how I made it this far except by the grace of God and my wife who has stood by me. I have always felt I should have been left dead in Vietnam as the killer the Army turned me in to rather than live in the hell I've lived in since I got back. Long story short....other vets talked me into returning to the VA for help and I'm glad I did. During my first PTSD therapy session the shrink committed me under suicide watch to the VA hospital under court order. I've been in PTSD/substance abuse therapy now for 6 months, had my C&P two months ago, didn't know what the rating was going to be and when it came in 100% PTSD/MDD Total and Permanent I just couldn't believe it....stunned is not the word!! This will allow me to dedicate myself totally to my PTSD therapy and trying to live the rest of my life as good as I can.

The moral of this story is, for vets struggling to fight the good fight with the VA,....hang tough...persevere....because, for what it's worth, I truly believe the VA is doing everything they can to "redeem" themselves. You must present your case clearly and properly but the VA now seems to be bending over backwards for vets. It has come way too late for me but it doesn't have to be to late for others. Vets should also lean heavily on this website. There are many extremely knowledgeable contributors on this website that have a wealth of information/expertise and they are more than willing to help you.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I will be dedicating myself to helping other vets. Vets SHOULD help other vets.

Now it's time to apply for an ILP program and a hobby to occupy that newly connected brain of yours, sir. Perhaps a woodworking shop to focus you mind and make bird houses or cedar planters? Maybe a new interest in a garden and a greenhouse. VA is obligated to help 2,700 Veterans every year who are "severely disabled" who are not candidates for a $100 K job a year at Amazon. Like us. The Independent Living Program has a grant for up to $80 K available for you but you'll never know that unless you're a member at Hadit or Asknod. VA hides this one over in the VR&E tent and sometimes denies it exists until you push hard. It's there, believe me. I got a complete computer and peripherals to publish my blog Asknod. I'm all in for the greenhouse at the BVA right now. Nothing's easy.

Welcome home, sir. Glad to see you made it even with a few chips and dents. I did two tours back to back from 70-72 and came back with almost all my 2,000 body parts. We're disappearing fast. Last I checked, there are less than 855,000 of us genuine, red clay between the toes, brown water leeched and jungle rotted Veterans left. Sorry for the Navy guys. Not trying to minimize service but the AO cadre-those who are presumed exposed- is shrinking faster than an ice cube in a hot frying pan. For what it's worth, if your ship's water went through a desalinization plant with H2O from seawater close to estuaries, then I think you should get the presumption. AO and ABlue are some nasty cocktails. I know.

Edited by asknod

Tcannonsr,your post was very touching,I can identify with you as I have gone through many of the things you are going through.It took you a long time to go to the V.A but better late then never and looked what happened they granted you 100% P&T,which we all know is a very hard award to get and your getting the proper care that you wouldn't get anywhere else.Like Asknod mentioned get your self a hobby or maybe volunteer with the Wounded Warrior Project,if they are in your state or volunteer with the V,A because you have a lot of good to offer.Idle time can be our worse enemy,keep your head up and congratulations.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use