Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Forum Newbie - Please Help Me Sort Through The Va-Speak

Rate this question

danangmonkey

Question

"I submitted all my service treatment records with my claim, it was complete from day 1 to my separation day (15 years)? At this point I don't know whom to trust, they cant even tell me if my claim is still listed as an FDC? To be fair, I understand that these things take time, but what is the purpose of filing an FDC if its going to take almost two years? I also am regretting filing the "reconsiderations", I took the VA at their word when they said it would be the most expedient method of getting a do-over with the new DBQ's.

Thanks for any and all responses. Again, I apologize for the length of my post and my naiveté with the claims process!"

Do you have documented evidence that you submitted the STRs either via ebenefits or through USPS?

A reconsideration can make things move faster ........sometimes.......but it does not stop the one year NOD deadline...

"I took the VA at their word when they said it would be the most expedient method of getting a do-over with the new DBQ's."

I kind of feel that they would definitely consider the claims with those DBQs.

When you submit them put attention to and then the initials in the numeric code on the right hand top side of their last letter to you....This is the last persopn who had your claim, as far as I know, and that way they will get the Recon request sooner than later..hopefully.

Welcome here. We were ALL naive at some point in time..........

"Sent for a C&P in Oct 2014 -- Granted 10% for one condition,"

Do you have a copy of that C & P? On it did the examiner say they reviewed your SMRs?

To get even a 10% SC rating that usually means they needed the SMRs for a service nexis.

Cripes they might have had them when they gave you the 10%...and still do have them....

Thank you for your service!

If you have evidence (in the other decision in the Evidence List and/or proof you sent in the SMRs to them), you might want toconsider filing an IRIS complaint. It is a separate pop down box at the Ask a Question thing under Contact US at www.va.gov.

IRIS complaints go to VA Central as well as your RO and also you might want to contact the Under Secretary, allison.hickey@va.gov.

Your SMRs might be there. right in your C file, if the C & P examiner had them.

Do you have a vet rep with an office in or near your VARO?

Yes it is Very frustrating and you are by far not alone.

Edited by Berta

"The IRIS response did acknowledge that I had submitted my STR's, but said that the RO always wants the "Official" record vs. a copy (does that sound right?)."

It does sound right but it is always a good idea to have your own copy of SMRs.

They often miss the most important stuff in them.

And sometimes they have told vets they cannot obtain the SMRs so another reason, even if you have a copy and not an official set of SMRs.

"They also said the Mar 2016 completion date was based o n a standard claim, so if (BIG IF) my claim is still classified as FDC it may be completed sooner."

I hope it will be and I sure think (and hope) they get electronic SMRs these days.

Have you signed up for ebenefits?

It is one more way, when they put the right info there, to check the status of the claim.

Hmmnnnnnn.................. Interesting to say the least.

What were the issues and reasons for denial.

I truly think the denial letter holds the key.