VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Before Filing For Ptsd

Rate this question

CHerv08

Question

Hey everyone,

I am new to Hadit.com and I first wanted to say that this is by far the most informative information I have read to date regarding this entire process. I was just awarded 20% Service Connected Disability. 10% for tinnitus and 10% for TBI.

So about me - I served as an MP in Iraq from 2006-2007. Durning my time there I was invovled in an ambush against my squad were a couple Soldiers were injured. I was first to react to the situation under fire, and was able to render aid and provide cover fire. I was awarded with a BSM-V for my actions as well as 2 others from my squad. I was also exposed to mulitple fire fights and numerous IED exposures.

I have never been "formally treated" for PTSD. After the event, I was seen by the chaplain regarding the situation and that was about it. At the time I really didnt want to talk about it or relive the sitaution.

I deloyed again in 2010 to Afganistan and working in the detainee center. Nothing like the first deployment, but still standing face to face with detainees.

Unlike some of my battle buddies I deployed with - I have been able to keep a steady job, and go to school full time, while some of them struggle since our Iraq delopyment.

My wife and family says that since my deloyment - I have changed. I have "quirks" as they like to call them such as not being able to sit with my back to anyone, always have to maintain a visual of a door, i have a hard time around fireworks and begin to get anxious. I also get very iratable when driving. All of these have heavily increased since my deployment.

Becaue I have never been treated formally for PTSD - and nothing have been formally documented regarding treatment is it possible to file for PTSD? What type of information would be benefical as far as documentation?

Will the VA try to link my TBI and PTSD together?

Any input would be greatly appercaited.

Welcome aboard bud and sorry to hear of your issues, as I too served in OIF/OEF. I would not file for PTSD, go get diagnosed and seek treatment thru the VA for a few months, then file. I don't want to see you go thru the VA roller coaster of crap, just to get screwed in the end. Plus it will be good for you to seek treatment. I have been going to Trauma treatment at VA for 2 years. Good luck and God Bless!!!

Welcome aboard bud and sorry to hear of your issues, as I too served in OIF/OEF. I would not file for PTSD, go get diagnosed and seek treatment thru the VA for a few months, then file. I don't want to see you go thru the VA roller coaster of crap, just to get screwed in the end. Plus it will be good for you to seek treatment. I have been going to Trauma treatment at VA for 2 years. Good luck and God Bless!!!

Thank you for advice - basically that is what I am looking for, I do not want to take a ride on the wickedness that is the VA rollercoaster if I do not need it. I attempted to file back in 2008 when I organially came from from deployment, but because i was younger and dumb I never followed though with the process and it was ruled not service connected. Sad part is - I cannot find the letters sent to me from the VA stating that.

You have a documented SC TBI.

They must rate TBIs as separate from PTSD.

A TBI is almost always a Stressor.

You have the TBI rating ,so others will disagree, but if it were me I would file for PTSD...yesterday.....

Thank you Berta!

I have reading through almost every different discussion related to this topic. I thought maybe becuase I had previously filed for it back in 2008 - and because of the supporting SC- TBI that it might be a good starting point.

I am going to seek treatment through a private healthcare provider. I was recently put in touch with a Licensed Psychologist who specalizes in PTSD and blast trauma and worked for the Department of Army treating such.

So I guess I'm just looking for some postive feedback - and getting to know everyone on the board. I find it really helpful and stress releaving.

• HadIt.com Elder

File for the PTSD ASAP.

To start your EED (Early effective Date)& you can appeal the date they give you on the date on this new claim so so watch that bud!

A nice size retro payment dating back to 2008!!!

You need to check your c-file and check your SMR's and get a diagnose service connected for PTSD...Either with the VA or private but its usually better to get it from a VA Dr's(just the way the VA is)

As Ms Beta mention you already have stressors with the TBI & With the events of trauma That happen in the fire fights!&probably more, stressors are important evidence filing for PTSD.

Notarized statements from family & friends about your behavior!

Hang in there Bud

good Luck

.......................Buck

Buck,

So lets just say I file tomorrow for PTSD - will the VA go back and re-open the closed case from when I orignally filed in Dec 2008 or would I have to make an appeal for the date back following a decision (if I get one)

Also - I plan on appealing my denial for sleep apena should I wait for my appeal to be comepleted before I request my C-File as to not interupt the process?

I know there are many tricks to this process...

Thanks

Chris