Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Pt But Working On Ss & Fers Claims

Rate this question

DocFMF

Question

Hello all and this is my first post on HADIT.COM. Please bear with me as I learn the ropes around here. My situation is a bit bass ackwards from what most of the posts I have read on this subject since my IU claim with the VA processed faster than my OPM or SS Claims.

The friday prior to Memorial Day I was informed that the VA fully developed IU claim I submitted on 01/21/2015 had veen approved at 90% but uped to IU for 100% P&T. (AMAZING TIMEFRAME YEAH) This was up from my previous combined 80% rating from when I filed. I'm a 29 year (with 10 year military buy back) WS wage grade supervisor federal employee that has been out of work on LWOP since 01/05/2015 due to my many medical and mental conditions.(Yeah all us supervisors are a little nuts) I filed for my FERS disability retirement from OPM as well as SSDI from Social Security at the same time as I filed for IU with the VA.. OPM initially denied me about 3 weeks earlier but I have an appeal in now. I just sent OPM and SS a copy of my 100% PT claim letter. Also I am 54 and cannot normally retire from civil service for another year and 1/2 due to my age. I contacted SS to request they place me on their VA IU PT 100% program to speed up things on their end. I have only one more SS C&P in early June. I suffer from a ton of conditions both VA service connected and not. My highest VA rating is 70% for PTSD

Ok with all of that said..... What importance/emphasis will OPM & SS place on my IU rating with the VA? What sort of timeframe should I expect from SS? OPM?

I hope I covered everythin. Any information / direction in this matter will help a lot.

Thanks in advance

DocFMF

Did you get the Ellis clinic involved in this, if not you should, they are really good on VA and DOL issues. He also does a great job on AMA ratings.

we'll sort of, yes. I went in with my records but he's insistent on the format using  Professional Records review. Like others on hadit and Ellis clinic with what I have open and the claims involving my hands I should retire going through DOL.  it pays 3/4 of my old salary.  Timing and some communications issues have been an issue  but I'm working on that. 

My my concern is the same as in the VA claims, you can have the evidence all there to prove your case but it they don't mention it  or read it for that matter it is futile. Oh and shredding and misfiring it into another Veterans records I complicates things a lot.

im going to  get him to write an opinion curtailing to what I need for this to work, along with the functional capacity exams and the approval of OPM retirement and hopefully that will satisfy VAs and Federal Workers comp. requirement  for sure. 

At least that is my thinking.  I have a 10% initial rating on my left wrist for 5% loss of strength, and 5% for lost range of motion,  Another 15 % for each hand after surgeries 7 & 8.  Plus the 80% current VA rating , I would think that would be enough, however, they are trying their hardest to fight this.   

I have to admit, I'll have a lot to do until this is completed and over with.  

Edited by ArNG11

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

Wow...

Good information Yall, i hope it all works out for everyone. I was just recently awarded IU in begining of Aug2015 and i am on my appeal/reconsid with SSDI that denied me when i was not IU. I am 70% combined now and IU P&T or T&P and i feel like even based on what i read here, it's uncertain for any hopes on SSDI approval. I don't know what else would help from what i have now  "IU, Voc rehab referal to Inedpendant Living, Dr. Notes stating i need to focus on my medical issues, Clinical Social Worker indicating he does not see me working until i get my disabilities resolved.. ossss. so frustrating to ponder but your comments help with indications.

heh update on this. OPM not only approved but is paying my regular annuity with insurance benefits to boot.  One award down a few more to go with DOL.  I also submitted my last VA claim.  I claimed my neck and hips due to my HMMV accident.  Bad news on that is C6-C7 not so good. Two surgeons already mentioned fusion. eh id rather not, the back is a bad dice roll, the neck,  well not sure I want to place a bet on that surgery and frankly I may be losing touch with reality but I am fighting, even one handed and attorney-less at times.   Difficult as hell. I'm use to it though.  I complicate things but I'm not completely gone upstairs. yet...

Now waiting on SSDI to spit out a denial and go into the appeals cue.  OPM approval, 80% on VA disability side, I might have an approval in the 2nd or 3rd denial of the SSDI claim. Submitted IU claim and the 3 agencies have corresponding medical records with IMO and IME.

Using these 3 agencies own systems of tricks I might end up getting taken care of, at least in the end my family will have less to worry about. 

One of my concerns is the late approval of voc rehab in 2014.  I called from the hospital and sent a letter from the hospital to canx the appointment.  I never showed.  The last decision I received didn't even mention voc rehab. The only reason I was made aware was through ebennies of all places. smirk.

Keep plugging away is all I have. Drip...Drop...on the forehead of these agencies, drop....,drop... is that my blood or theirs.  Cant tell, but I'm not stopping, at least while I am still breathing.  

Yes extremely frustrating, and infuriating.  BINGO on fuel.  drip...

Mr. A

Yeah, the statements I submitted from 2 co-workers and supervisor were mentioned in my award letter for IU. Hell even personal statements get read. Lay it out to em.

me too. i submitted three letters. two were from my then caretaker and the other my best friend. they were all mentioned in my IU award letter.

I am hoping that SS approves me first go around but that is comp;lately going against the status quo.  I know from what Elders have stated on here SS looks at everything whereas the VA is more narrow minded, must be service connected issues that hinder substantial employment, however, once approved for SSDI, I would opine that it would be easier to attain,  you would think so anyways.  Logic, hell, just plain common sense you would think would apply, I think I am in the same boat though.

Mr. A

one update on this for me.  Using the three agencies record systems might payoff if there is such a thing. That was my attack and plan, however i'm curious if all thee agencies records will match now.  OPM and FERS where easier than OWCP, now to see what SSA will do.   Only been three months though, still so much more to go, slow is smooth, smooth is fast.... Im hoping something positive comes at the six month and year marks big gambit though. :blink:

Mr. A