VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Service Treament Records While In Combat Zone

Rate this question

DejDan

Question

In Nov 2014 I filed claim for PTSD resulting from my tour in Iraq in 2005. I submitted all of my STR's through the VFW when I filed my claim. I've had my C and P exam in April 2014 and it resulted in a diagnosis on Ptsd with a "more likely than not" cause by my military service in Iraq.

Currently I'm receiving treatment from the VA for PTSD after starting and stopping treatment back in 2006 after my tour in Iraq.

Today the VA sent me a letter asking for STR's for the exact time frame that I was in Iraq in which they stated that they have exhausted all means to secure. Now...... I was in area that did not have running water for more than 8 months straight let alone a facility where you could get medical care.

The short of it is I do not have medical records for this time frame. I was an activated reservist so therefore I received a PHA right after my deployment and answered some questions positively concerning seeing killed (civilian) and fearing for my life.( which I don't think they have and I'm prepared to send them) if the PHA is considered a type of medical record.

My Questions are:

1.How detrimental is this to my claim that these records does not exist?

2.Is it a standard form that I have to proclaim that these records does not exist or do I just call the VA or notify the VFW ( my representative) to let the know? In which I may add haven't been very active since I filed with them.

Any suggestions or advice will greatly appreciated. Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Were there any combat related unit awards?

Things such as a unit citation for performance under fire, or that cite "combat conditions"?

Decades ago, the entire crew on a ship I was assigned to was awarded the CAR.

The ship's captain, naturally, received a higher award!

This was not a typical Unit deployment. The Division mobilized around 300 Soldiers, placing them all across Iraq from the south to north. I was in the north supplementing a group of Soldiers, Marines and Airmen. So it wasn't really my Unit so to speak. With that being said I'm not worried about proving stressors and actions. My main concern is I've been reading some of the denials on this forum where the VA simply said the denial was because they found no evidence that the claimant complained and was treated during a specific time frame.

Again the time frame was the time I was in Iraq with no such medical facility near by. I'm not overly worried just anxious to see how it will turn out. The main thing is I'm coping much better because I restarted my treatments. I'll certainly keep you guys posted.

• HadIt.com Elder

What Exactly is it that you need?

Do you need medical evidence to support your claim for Service Connection?

And you can't find your STR's to support that?

Is this your first claim? or is in on Appeal from NOD?

They could not find all of my STR'S from Vietnam and Especially the one I needed to support my claim and I was deined.

I appeal that and wrote out in detail what happen and there should be a record of it because I did report it to my CO at the time unfortunately they could not find it it either was destroyed or was blown to smithereens

Your DD214 Should have it on it that you serve in Iraq as a combat veteran & where you served.

I am not sure what the CFR'S numbers are? but a veteran can give an explanation of account what happen and that in fact it did happen with Buddy statements from your unit& unit commander...This is what I had to do.

if no Records found but you have proff of serving in Iraq then you have the benefit of Doubt.

Separation orders should have whom you served with in Iraq and when you were transferred back to the states. with dates of separation.

............Buck

99% of all of the combat vets I know were never treated for PTSD in service.

I think the VA has asked you for proof of your stressor or enough details of it to run it through JSRRC for verification.

I suggest that you read over the new 2010 PTSD regs here.

Something is triggering VA not to 'accept "close proximity to hostile fire" and.or "fear "as defined in those regulations,in my opinion, based on what yopu posted here..

There is also much info here as to what VA defines as a stressor.

And info on buddy statements if you need them.

Buck 52,

Thanks for your response. This is my first claim. Presently the only thing I don't have is STR for that period while in Iraq (it doesn't exist)in which the VA is specifically asking for. I don't need proof I was there my DD 214 has all that information. My only concern is that the VA will say that there is no evidence of reporting or treatment which will have them deny my claim.

I don't know if it's that cut and dry or will the VA use common sense when it comes to not every service member had the ability to receive treatment for PTSD let alone reporting something that at the time seems like would be a normal reaction for anyone in a hostile area and while in a combat zone

Berta,

Thank you for your response. If that's the way the VA is asking for proof of a stressor by asking for STR that happens to be the period of my deployment I guess I'm in for an uphill battle. In fact that's all the letter states are those specific dates and letting me know that they have exhausted all means. In which I can understand because it doesn't exist.

How can I get ready for potential roadblock? Thanks again for your advice