Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have Tdui But Can It Be Reduced...

Rate this question

bassrunnin1

Question

I don't know if this is the right forum or not but I have always used the VA for Psychiatrist and always used outside Psychologist even before my claim was decided. Although I did have to stay in their psych ward last year, I have ptsd and bipolar. If I only had PtSD I could stick with the VA has med changes don't need to made often after the cocktail is worked out. But with Bipolar I am a rapid cycler and I cycle about every 6-8 weeks. It takes to long to make appointments, and my last leg of going to someone outside for meds was when I had to call the crisis line. So I want continue to see this outside NP for meds since I can see her every 3 weeks as we try to get this cocktail resolved. I am afraid that if I stop going to the VA for Psych meds they will reduce me. They have me as 100% T&P, no future exams required. l do use the VA for PCP 1x year for physical and Sleep center for Apnea and that will remain the same. However if I have a sinus infection or such I go to an outside clinic. I hope this helps...thanks in advance...I just don't want the VA to think I'm scamming them or something...however PTSD can get better for some (not often I'm sure) but Bipolar is a life condition and never goes away and the Bipolar was included in my final rating (PTSD/Bipolar) but shows as PTSD since medical can only have 1 illness listed in the final rating. But I was awarded more because of the Bipolar onset due to PTSD. Hope that helps...

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Has any of your docs stated that you are housebound because of these disabilities?

What is your actual SC % ratings? You asked about IU reductions but you indicate 100% for ptsd/bipolar. 2 different animals, !00% Scheduler Vs IU.

The answer to could you get a proposed reduction, yes & yes. Although highly unlikely, improved SC medical conditions could affect either rating. With IU, if you all of a sudden show 12 straight months of "SGI" (Earned income in Excess of $12,400 under 65 or $11,400 if 65+) you could get a proposed IU reduction back to your original SC% comp level.

Semper Fi

Gastone

My SO has told me not to work any job that creates a W2. Also to be careful of Volunteer work that shows a steady improvement. Her reasoning is that should the Government/VA decide to cut Benefits they would go after those working with a paper trail.

With the SSDI, you can't have Earned Income. If you had IU and SSI, you could receive less that the SGI $11,400 yrly for over 65 and not jeopardize your IU Award.

Semper Fi

Gastone