Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sc 90% 4 Yrs - New Fdc Claim C & P 04/2014

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

I had been 90% SC for PTSD, CAD, SA and Tinnitus for about 4 yrs, with 2 DRO Hearings pending, when I was DX with what I believed to be a SC Secondary issue 01/2014.

Contrary to some learned opinion, I believe in filing a claim as soon as you get the DX. There's been plenty of recent discussion about opening yourself up for reviews of your other SC conditions but I've been somewhat skeptical regarding that line of thought.

As it turns out, my C & P Dr only addressed the condition specific DBQ that was requested by the VA Rating Dept. We started talking and he agreed with me that I was wrong regarding which current SC condition contributed to my new DX. I told him that I had filed another FDC when I realized the error and claimed new DX secondary to SA, which he agreed with. He apologized for being unable to address the 2nd FDC claim at that time. We talked a little longer and he intimated that if I asked for him to complete a DBQ regarding my DX'd new condition, he was required by VA reg to do so. I did, he did and I was awarded SC Secondary to SA in July. Received a Denial letter for the 1st FDC about 2 weeks before.

Both of the FDC filings opened my C-File for possible review of my PTSD rating, didn't happen. In May I finally got notice of my 1st DRO Hearing which was held 06/27. All issues from both NODs awarded including IU T & P "No Future Exams Scheduled," Retro back to 12.

Sooooooo, in my case the new claim filing 02/14 didn't cause a rating reduction C & P and certainly didn't add any time to my DRO Hearing.

Semper Fi

Gastone

3 answers to this question

As you know bud the Roller Coaster can go either way, in my case I was already 100% SC when I filed 2 more FDCs there after. Now it was a Success as most of the conditions were granted, but then the dang VA went in for the kill and decided to Re Eval all of my high %s. Well luckily it back fired in the VA's face, most continued and Migraines went up from 30 to 50%. Still was a heck of an ordeal to go thru, especially the over 2 hour PTSD Re Eval.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Navy04: How long were you at 70% for PTSD? I neglected to mention that I was well north of 55. Read somewhere in the past, that Vets 55 + are not supposed to be randomly selected for Reduction C & Ps.

How long after you filed your recent claims did you get notification of the C & Ps for your SC conditions? The VA has been accused of many things, but fast is not one of them. Any chance your Ratings were actually "Diary Dated" for review, well before you filed your new claims? I could see the VA doing that in regards to any SC condition that can possibly improve with time. Back in mid 2013 I visited a VSO at the VARO to see if any additional info regarding my pending DRO Hearings could be found. The only info that the VSO could come up with was everything still in the works and that my C-File and DRO Hearings had been "Diary Dated." Problem was, the "Diary Dates" had come and gone 2 or 3 times. Just saying, I could see the VA using the "DD" to be sure your SC is re-rated at some future point. They have to rely on computers to spit out those Vets that are SCd and are due a re-exam.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I have been 70% PTSD since Mar 14, but granted back to Nov 13. I filed my recent FDC Nov 14 and called in Jan 15 that conditions were being Re Evaluated.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars