Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

0 Percent Rating Illegal?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I recall reading something about, at least one person said that 0 percent ratings are illegal. They cite congress report saying that Vets will be compensated from 10 to 100 percent, and "o%" was made up by VA so they could save money. I may try to find it, but my head is spinning from the I9 right now. It makes sense VA would do this: "invent" a 0% rating" when congress did not approve one.

I think VA may try to agrue that 0 percent Vets do get compensation in the form of medical benefits, but there is no difference in medical benefits for a 0 percent Veteran or a nsc Vet.

A rating of Zero percent is Compensation rating: Compensation is defined as:

com·pen·sa·tion (kŏm′pən-sā′shən)
n.
1. The act of compensating or the state of being compensated.
2. Something, such as money, given or received as payment or reparation, as for a service or loss.
3. Biology The increase in size or activity of one part of an organism or organ that makes up for the loss or dysfunction of another.
4. Psychology Behavior that develops either consciously or unconsciously to offset a real or imagined deficiency, as in personality orphysical ability.
com′pen·sa′tion·al adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
compensation (ˌkɒmpɛnˈseɪʃən)
n
1. the act or process of making amends for something
2. something given as reparation for loss, injury, etc; indemnity
3. (Physiology) the automatic movements made by the body to maintain balance
4. the attempt to conceal or offset one's shortcomings by the exaggerated exhibition of qualities regarded as desirable
5. (Biology) biology abnormal growth and increase in size in one organ in response to the removal or inactivation of another

ˌcompenˈsational adj

Edited by broncovet

"3. Biology The increase in size or activity of one part of an organism or organ that makes up for the loss or dysfunction of another."

I think this is the definition they are working on; If the country is the organism, and we are the ones with loss or dysfunction, then the VA is the one part that increases in size, too bad they can't get the increase in activity right!

I recall reading something about, at least one person said that 0 percent ratings are illegal. They cite congress report saying that Vets will be compensated from 10 to 100 percent, and "o%" was made up by VA so they could save money. I may try to find it, but my head is spinning from the I9 right now. It makes sense VA would do this: "invent" a 0% rating" when congress did not approve one.

I think VA may try to agrue that 0 percent Vets do get compensation in the form of medical benefits, but there is no difference in medical benefits for a 0 percent Veteran or a nsc Vet.

A rating of Zero percent is Compensation rating: Compensation is defined as:

com·pen·sa·tion (kŏm′pən-sā′shən)
n.
1. The act of compensating or the state of being compensated.
2. Something, such as money, given or received as payment or reparation, as for a service or loss.
3. Biology The increase in size or activity of one part of an organism or organ that makes up for the loss or dysfunction of another.
4. Psychology Behavior that develops either consciously or unconsciously to offset a real or imagined deficiency, as in personality orphysical ability.
com′pen·sa′tion·al adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
compensation (ˌkɒmpɛnˈseɪʃən)
n
1. the act or process of making amends for something
2. something given as reparation for loss, injury, etc; indemnity
3. (Physiology) the automatic movements made by the body to maintain balance
4. the attempt to conceal or offset one's shortcomings by the exaggerated exhibition of qualities regarded as desirable
5. (Biology) biology abnormal growth and increase in size in one organ in response to the removal or inactivation of another

ˌcompenˈsational adj

The compensation may be the treatment you qualify for. Being rated or service connected gets you this benefit, doesn't it?

Im unaware of ANY (VA) treaments that a Veteran rated "0%" gets that other Veterans can not get. Maybe hearing aids, but I got those through VA before I was service connected for hearing loss.

You can use the VAMC just the same with or without a 0 percent rating. There is no "compensation" of any kind for a zero percent rating.

Philip,

I have to call the 800# tomorrow anyway so I will ask them if such an animal exists in three 0% ratings=10%. Maybe all three 0%'s have to be life threatening to get it.