VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Total And Permanent (Ptsd) Am I Able To Still Work?

Rate this question

jjbsmb01

Question

• Founder

You are bound to get a lot of answers. I have never heard the VA make a definitive statement on this one way or the other, if anyone has please put the source, this is a question that comes up often.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you disabled or not??? You could always reject the 100% rating and the VA would give you a lower percentage, which would definitely allow you to work. A rating of 100%, for PTSD, or a mental disorder, includes in it's description the inability to work, so you would be taking a chance by working. If you are able to work, then you should refuse the 100% rating. Accepting the payments would(in my eyes) be fraud, because you are saying you can't work, by accepting the money, which would be a lie. If it's worth losing $2500 - $3200 a month, of tax free income, ChampVA insurance, and Chapter 35 benefits, for spouse & children, then you should go for it!!! jmo

I don't mean to come down hard on you but that's how I feel. A 100% rating for PTSD is rare these days, so I'd, say you must be pretty f**ked up, mentally.

Again, jmo,

pr

Rating Criteria for 100% Mental health Disorder not an Eating Disorder

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

This rating criteria precludes a veteran from any type of employment. A veteran can have a combined rating of 100% scheduler and legally work. But a 100% rating based on a sole mental health disorder and working means that a veteran does not meet this rating criteria.

Pete is on the money when it comes to the VA lingo, and as far as Phillip I totally agree with him. I am 70% PTSD and I spent 3 months in mental hospital and had to Resign as a US Marshal, I definitely can not work, and I know that there are a lot of Starving and Homeless Vets out there that would take your 100% in a heart beat. We are not being hard on you bud, and only you and your family can decide what is best for you. We all would like to get rich off of the GOVT, but if you can work then I say risk the lesser % and work your but off. God Bless

Ditto to what everyone else is saying. They are right on the money. I would like to add that there are some days that you think maybe i could go back to work, but then look at the long picture. Could you maintain that job without losing it, could you get even worse by going back to work when you should not. Like these guys say, your 100% for a reason...and you have to think hard and long to say whether you can go back to work. If you can, then I think that means that you are doing better and I envy you. Then you shouldn't be 100%. I am 100% PTSD and sometimes I have a day where I think that i could go back to work, and then the next hour hits or day, and I realize why I am rated 100%. I could see why I'm rated 100% and there are people on here that have been fighting for years to try to get 100% and rightfully deserve so. If you can go back to work I wish the best of luck. But you can't have it both ways. So you need to do a lot of soul searching.